Anonymous

I live with my parents while I’m a parent.?

I moved in with my parents 5 months ago with my 2 boys and I am currently pregnant My kids 

are 10 and 3 

My question is how do you deal with parents who undermine and try to parent your children It’s mostly my older son because he is really close to my mom who try’s to act as his mother at times. We have Argued over this several times when I try to set boundaries such as bed time for him or electronic use. I’m usually laid back since I know what it feels like to have such strict parents growing up and I told myself that I wouldn’t be like my parents. My mom never taught me how to cook or be a wife or women hygiene she only told us about church and school. I learned a lot from friends and my child’s father about how life works. They don’t have the same relationship with my 3 year old I feel mainly because they don’t like his dad so they take it out on him. They are much harder on him and my mom leaves him out of stuff a lot I’m in school so that I can get a better job to support my kids but my parents and my dads mom are watching my kids for me I appreciate it but it’s a few things I don’t like They leave harmful things like bleach out with the cap off in reach of my 3 year old. They leave cleaning supplies around and I always have to go behind them to make sure that he doesn’t get into things. It bothers me because I can’t concentrate in class in fear that I’ll get a call that he’s hurt. One time I came home from class and they left my older son in charge of watching my 3

• Foofa

I deal with that by not living in the same house as my parents. Of course they'll intervene in your parenting if you're staying under their roof. Sounds like you're also expecting them to provide you free childcare. You need to get your life together.

• Merry

When I left my abusive relationship I moved in with my parents. 

I needed their support and help with my kids & financially it mattered. 

It was hard - I was under their roof and whilst I'm their daughter & it is their grandchildren, they were ultimately doing me and my children a favour. 

For the most part I kept my mouth shut & chose my battles as wisely as I could.

I did find that having a routine helped & an agreement (who did what and when) who was in charge of things etc and I would discuss the kids & issues afterwards ( not during) an argument when everyone is calm and the kids are not part of the discussion.

• Mike

First off, you need to think about getting your tubes tied.  After that, remember that the people who you're complaining about also raised you, are you screwed up?