How do I get into voice acting?

I've always wanted to be a voice actor for anime, but there are no opportunities near me. I dont expect anything to happen during this pandemic, but for afterwards, does anyone know what I should do?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Cogito
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Almost all voice-work goes to fully-trained and very experienced actors - they do the occasional bit of voice-acting just to earn a little extra money in between ordinary acting roles.

I mean - think about it. You have a role to fill in a cartoon or commercial or whatever - who do you choose to audition - a kid with no experience or a professional actor with a fantastic résumé showing years at drama school and loads of stage and film experience?

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Just like "regular" acting, you get realistic.  See voice acting IS acting - it is much more then having a good/interesting speaking voice.  Companies invest a lot of money in their projects and they trust that investment to trained and experienced professionals - so they don't have open auditions that anyone can go to.  They're not looking for "regular" people who have nice voices.  They need trained professionals who understand both the craft of acting and the business.  Which means they don't have open auditions, for most voice work you have to be invited to audition, usually through an agent.

Casting for voice work is similar to "regular" acting work.  A casting director (CD) is responsible for finding qualified actors to audition.  If they know actor who they thing would be good (often actors they've worked with before) they'll hire them right away or offer them an audition.  Sometimes they'll write a "breakdown" describing the role and give that information to agents who then submit actors for roles.  To submit means to send in an actor's resume and links to a demo reel showing their previous work.  Then if the CD is interested, they invite the actor to audition

And in the US, most anime/cartoon work is union which means the company has agreements with the actor's union SAG-AFTRA and preference is given to actor who are members of the union.  And you can't just join the union, you need a specific type of experience to be eligible to join.

So all that means is you get into voice acting by being an actor  You need to understand how to analyze a script, build a character and all the other things related to acting. So acting classes are a good place to start.  Improv classes are good as are scene study and other classes.  Also good would be to work with a vocal coach.  You can get some experience with acting by auditioning for community theater or student films.  You can try finding places to volunteer to do audio books.  You can also start to learn about audio production - many professional voice actors have their own studios to create demo tapes and other work.

All that will help you better understand what is really involved in voice acting to help you see if this reality matches what you think you want to do.

Then you can learn more about the business end of the industry to see if attempting a professional career makes sense for you.  Attempting a professional acting career is basically starting and running a company which means you need to understand things like that casting process (CDs, breakdowns, agents); legal issues (contracts, unions, taxes); marketing (resumes, demo reels, websites, social media) and networking.  Scams and rip offs prey on people who don't understand the reality of the industry.

In the sources box I included a link to an industry website that provides general information about becoming a voice actor in the US.  You can look that over to get a better understanding too

Good luck.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.