why don't all restaurants require people to pay upfront so nobody can dine and dash?

23 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

It's likely not a big enough problem.  In bars, that's why typically they want a credit card to run if you want to run a tab so you can't just walk out when it's busy without paying for the drinks you've had.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Well if you dine and dash for a $12 plate that’s a shame.

• 1 month ago

Well that would be especially hard after COVID because I doubt anyone is going to want to touch their dirty money or credit cards until after they are done eating, not to mention people may order things as they go along, as someone else said, sometimes I get an iced tea but don't realize that I want another one until I had the first.

• 1 month ago

Because folks may not know exactly what they will order to drink and eat over the course of their meal,  so it is hard to pay up front for what you do not know what will be consumed/ordered....by you or everyone else in your party.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Unlike a retail store, restaurant patrons might order a drink, dessert, etc. after the entrée is finished.

• r
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

thay can run off, without paying.

• 1 month ago

Because they want you to keep ordering more than what you originally planned for.  This is especially true for alcoholic beverages where they make most of their profit.  Once people start drinking they tend to drink more than just one drink.  And people are much more likely to have dessert if you physically come around with a dessert cart instead of asking if they want dessert before the meal and have them pre-pay.  If people pre-paid their whole order they wouldn't buy as much and therefore less profits for the restaurant.  Not that many people steal food compared to those who buy more than they originally intended.

• Cathy
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Because that would be racist silly

• r
      Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

Cathy, i agree with you, how are you?

• 1 month ago

Why would anyone order a meal and pay for it before actually being able to eat it? If you want that, you go eat fast food. A good restaurant wouldn't expect you to pay for something that you didn't or couldn't eat--and if the food was inedible, I certainly would not pay for it. Restaurants know these risks--and dining and dashing is not a big one. Most restaurants don't lose so much money every year to D&D that they need to make people pay up front. 

• it works for fast food restaurants why not dine in ones ?

• 1 month ago

@ Lee  I have lived in eight other countries plus visited a significant part of the rest of the world and paying in advance in restaurants is very uncommon except for meals included in tours or hotel packages.  Even then, if you order something not covered by the package they bring you the bill when you are finished.  

@ The Guy Who Trolls    Your idea is unrealistic and displays a lack of knowledge of the world on your part. 

Are there only buffet restaurants in your country? 

• ...Show all comments
    • Lee
      Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

I don't think that what the guy who trolls says is all that unrealistic or outlandish

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.