Anonymous

Is it bad that I don't support BLM because of the racism I've faced from black people?

When I was in school, I was told to "Go back to China" or that I eat dogs for dinner or that I'm a chink. The kids who bullied me were all black. Never white. I also live in the Deep South, where you think white people are racist. But no white kid was racist to me. Bullied from 1st to 12th grade. So as an Asian, no, I don't support BLM. Of course there are good black people out there though.

It doesn't matter why you don't support BLM, so good or bad matters even less.

I don't support BLM for the same reason I don't support the KKK.  Racism offends me.

No. Lots of people hate Asians, to each their own.

If I were you, I'd put childhood traumatic bullying, to one side and try and find some empathy for black or mixed race, or Asian people who do get treated differently because of their skin colour.

• giana4 weeks agoReport

If he was bullied for being Asian, for 12 years, he did get treated differently because of his skin color

right here my friends is a perfect example of conformation bias. Confirmation bias is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information that confirms or support one's prior personal beliefs or values. So if you want to be racist or not support BLM just because only you've had mostly bad experiences with black people then you do you hun. BLM doesn't mean that asians don't matter, or whites don't matter, nobody said these things. BLM means you are against the centuries of black suppression and demonic treatment towards people with melanin in their skin.

• But black people also have commit confirmation bias it works both ways 

I am a petite white female and have been harassed by black people my whole life (1970). I live in the suburbs of nyc. Since kindergarten, i was targeted by blacks because i was small and an easy target. Despite being bullied, my sister and I weren’t racist and had black friends. So i thought well maybe it’s just something that happens in schools. Sadly, no.  Fast forward to the early 2000s. Im in my late 30’s, minding my own business waiting for an elevator at a big mall. Some silly stupid ‘african american’ girls come running up behind me and stomp their feet and run away laughing. I am thinking ‘wtf’. In the 80’s, a group of black girls driving cut me off and didn’t like that i honked my horn at them. They preceded to follow me home and stop in front of my house. Well, i got my fathers gun and came out with it.  Well then they took off. I got their plate and called the cops. The officer said i did what i had to do. 

My best friend of over 30 years is black and I have listened to her many stories of racism against her and friends. And I completely sympathize with her. It happens to her till this day. It’s really sad. She outright told me that growing up in the bronx, they considered white people the devil. But now she doesn’t believe that all white people are bad. 

So i am at a loss. I am abused because of what those assholes did when they came to America. The indians, slavery. 

The only thing which makes me scratch my head is when black people commit crimes and can’t understand what they did wrong and resist arrest. Or they riot and rob/burn down stores. 

I tried to have a civilized discussion with my best (black) friend About this craziness going on during covid and she jumped down my throat. And she’s a nurse! I said ‘if we’re all dead, what’s the point to all this”. It’s like she just shut off to logic and got bent all out of shape despite the fact I agreed with everything she said. I just said during this pandemic is not a good time to be protesting. I told her that violence is not the answer (which she did agree) and that perhaps african americans might need to come up with a better plan for racial equality. 

I can honestly say that I think anybody acting violent and uncaring is not a good motivator for positive change. 

• Dave
      4 weeks agoReport

Not all whites are racists; but BLM assumes that.  
      Catch a Falling Star:
      http://tiolibooks.com/blank_1.html

I don't support it either and I'm not racist at all, especially against blacks. 

Imo alot of it is just victim mentality, playing the race card, and first world problems boo hoo....  honestly it like women and modern feminism, Black Americans have it really good compared to most humans.

OBVIOUSLY if you are harassed, excluded or treated with any unkindness due to your race/ethnicity, IT ITS RACISM> Regardless of whether you are african-american, hispanic, asian, or white. Psycho liberals scream that white people can't say or experience racism. I've been harassed at jobs due to being white, while all the women that worked with me were african american. They called me a wh*te c*nt who needed my a*s beat. I was the most quiet worker there. I never went back. A girl in my doctoral program harassed the heck out of me all year, and finally when I stood up to her and her friends because my boss was too afraid, she complained and said I was racist against her. Yes, laws have to be changed, but the issue with crazy liberals is that they always take it too far. Things have to be changed systemically of course, BUT before you know it cops everywhere will be immediately thrown into jail or getting killed left and right because they will be "trained" not to use their guns or any force at all. Liberals always take things way too far and assume that large groups of people are always one way. They believe all white people are implicitly or explicitly racist. They characterize LARGE groups of people as ALL being the same, which is exactly what the argue against. I have always have had black friends and treated balack people with the same respect as I do any other ethnicity. I do not think differently on them in any way. due to their race, however, that still makes me racist? I live in the most liberal of places, and I can't wait to move. 

No, You have the right to your opinion just like everyone else.

• Craig

Participation in BLM is voluntary and there's nothing "bad" or "wrong" about not participating.  "Support" (in the sense that is used in college dormitory debates and internet flamewars) is actually irrelevant.  Whether you "support" or don't "support" doesn't actually make any difference IRL.  It's whether you participate or not that counts, in the end.  You would not choose to participate, and that's fine.

Now - you've been mistreated by people due to looking different.  Those people might have considered you to be of a different "race" and inferior to them.  You felt (hopefully) that was not true, and that what they were doing to you was incorrect and wrong.  You took note that they looked different from you, and that the attitude toward people like you (who looked different from them) was pretty common among people who looked like them.

And you concluded that people who look like them are different from you and share a fault, defect, or weakness.  In other words, you concluded that they are of a different race that is less-perfect than your own.  That is, you've reached the same conclusion as the people who mistreated you.  You've joined their side, in terms of logic.  You're one of them.

You aren't alone, in adopting this outlook.  In the USA, somewhere between a quarter and a half of white people distrust, dislike, or despise people simply because they are black.  And somewhere between a half and three-quarters of black people distrust, dislike, or despise people simply because they are white.  (The elevated percentages among black people are easily understood, given the USA's history.)  Asians and Spanish-speakers suffer and cause suffering in a corresponding way.  It's a free country, as people say - so each individual is free to make up his own mind regarding this, and to express himself.  You are, too.

However, a wise person would imagine where these attitudes lead...in terms of what life for a typical American will be like by the time you are a senior, with grandchildren growing up.  The ideals that were proclaimed when America was struggling for independence from Britain suggested that all sorts of people could find a way to live together and govern themselves via a fundamental assumption of EQUALITY...and while that was not so at the beginning, the USA made steady progress over the next two centuries in that direction.  Now it is confronted with the fact that many Americans feel and think like you do (which is their right) that other "races" of people are less worthy than their own.  These two visions are not easily compatible.

It might be better for you to remember your schoolboy experience of discrimination and mistreatment as "Sean, Chad, Dwayne, and T'Chante were azzholes" rather than concluding "black people are azzholes" or even "black people tend to be azzholes".  If you thought of it that way, you might be able to agree that a person's life matters, even if he happens to be black.  OR you might want to stick with the way you feel now.  Either way, that's all up to you.  But DO try to assume some responsibility for the future of your society and your country, because you're going to have to live in it.  A wise choice, among the alternative ways of thinking about your experience, would be the one that opens doors toward more agreeable futures - rather than closing all the doors except the ones that lead to confrontation and division.

The evil powers in the US that want to tear the country apart so they can take control, one of their prime methods is to set the races against each other.  Racism is just wrong.  Racism to answer racism is even worse.

If being the victim of racism justifies you being racist yourself, we'll never get rid of racism.  The Republicans know that.  Racism is one of their most valuable tools in their ongoing campaign to turn the US into a third-world nation.

• Dave
      4 weeks agoReport

Yes, and Democrats should be ashamed of themselves for dividing the country.