Scott
Lv 5
Scott asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 month ago

Would the US have entered WW2 immediately if Japan invaded Russia on June 22, 1941?

This would be in support of Nazi Germany and no simultaneous attacks would be launched against the USA.

I realize the answer will be total speculation.

31 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Probably not, the US might have decided to let Japan and the USSR destroy each other. The US was no supporter of Stalin at that point (or the USSR) and would have been happy to see the USSR destroyed but they were also concerned about the build up of Japanese military strength and their plan to dominate Asia economically. A war that diminished both would have suited the US. 

The US supported Stalin because after Pearl Harbor they both had a common enemy in Nazi Germany and on the basis that my enemy's enemy is my friend they shelved their suspicion/hstility to Stalin. 

• We had no treaty with russia and the American people didn't want to get involved

• Ihsim (Arabic: hshshshs, also spelled Ehsem) is a town in northwestern Syria, administratively part of the Ariha District of the Idlib Governorate. According to the Syria Central Bureau of Statistics, Marayan had a population of 5,870 in the 2004 census

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

No. There is absolutely no evidence. The US could have entered the war much earlier, but the American public and most of Congress did not want to.

And why should the US have bothered, if the main Communist rival (USSR, not Russia!) had been attacked, severely weakened or even destroyed.

It would have been rather advantageous, if all main powers and hence competitors were destroyed or grossly weakened, including Japan, Italy the USSR and Nazi Germany or even the UK and France.

• 1 month ago

We were pretty much too consumed at home with economic matters, but an intelligent smart leader with the intel data could have made a calculated decision to enter war and to convince the American public that it must be done. Possible, but unlikely, we were really withdrawn from the world till the attack on Pearl Harbor.

• I have a severe case of anus cancer

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

I do not think so.  We did not declare war when Germany invaded Russia from the West, so why would we have acted any differently when another Axis power invaded from the East?

With respect to the U.S.-Japan conflict, which began in December, 1941, Russia maintained neutrality.  It had enough on its hands with Germany.  At Yalta, in early 1945, FDR wanted Stalin to agree to help us in Japan (we did not know whether we would have the atomic bomb ready).  Stalin agreed to go to war against Japan three months after Germany surrendered, which was still in the future.

V-E day was proclaimed on May 8, 1945.  Stalin, true to his word, went to war against Japan on August 8, 1945, three months later.  By then, we had already dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima, and we did not need the Russians.  The Russians stopped, more or less on the 38th parallel on the Korean peninsula, which set the stage for the Korean War in 1950.

• 1 month ago

There was a battle between Japan and the USSR. Until Pearl Harbor attack, the USA had an indifferent attitude about who would win the war. It didn't matter whether axis powers or USSR would win. To U.S., supporting the axis powers did not sound good, but at the same time, it feared USSR because it was getting too powerful.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

The US declared war on Japan for bombing Pearl. That's understandable. You have not made a case for me to surmise your suggestion to be anywhere near likely. 

• 1 month ago

Not only would American isolationism prevent this, but also the fact that Leninist Russia was a direct ideological opponent of America, the core of capitalism. Let's not forget that America intervened against the Soviet rebels during the Russian civil war.

• Dumas Guette (born 25 December 1952) is a Colombian former footballer who competed in the 1972 Summer Olympics.[1]

• 1 month ago

The USA only entered the 2nd world war because the stupid japs attacked pearl harbour. nothing else would i have induced them to fight a war they didn't want be in . Remember the Americans where isolationist  they were happy enough to sell arms and profiteer from the Europen war. 

• 1 month ago

The US was having a national debate about isolationism right up until the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor.  We would likely have been continuing to debate and not entered the war if we were not attacked then. We might have tried to save Britain from Hitler- or might not have.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.