Ben asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 1 month ago

Is Veganism unhealthy?

Before I begin, I just want people to know my grandfather is vegan, and is 89 y/o. He has good longevity, however I would say he is underweight a little.

If veganism is a healthy diet, how come they need to take supplements?

They also lack nutrients that they can't get from plant foods.

Are human-beings omnivores? Should we just stick to vegetables, chicken, and fish?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Megumi
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

No, such an inadequate diet cannot be healthy. Humans are certainly omnivores. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

depends on how ling he was vegan. if we talking less then 10 years then that dont mean anything. Also maybe his mother was a meat eater and i know back then eating livers and organs were super important way back so maybe she ate those and passed it to your grandfather and maybe as a kid he ate meat too and fed animal organs (which are high in essential human nutrients), this could also have helped him live healthier. 

• 1 month ago

It depends on what you eat you can be hea,thy on a vegan diet but some people become ill,

• 1 month ago

You have almost answered your own question. Veganism is healthy, but you do need to suppliment as not all the nutrients you need can be obtained through plant food. As long as you are getting the proper nutrition you need, eat the way you want. There is abosolutely nothing wrong with being vegan. It is your right to live the way you want. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

There is usually only ONE supplement a vegan needs to take and that is Vitamin B-12, which is only found in animal-product foods like meat and dairy. If a vegan supplements their B-12, the diet is extremely healthy for most people. It's low in calorie, (usually), low in sugars, and sometimes even low-carb, though it CAN be high in all 3 if you're not careful. Some processed vegan foods are very high in sugars and carbs. If you eat well, and your diet consists only of vegetable products, you CAN live a long, healthy life. 

• ...Show all comments
    • Louis
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Sugar is a simple carb and not particuarly good for you. most vegans eat a high carb diet. Complex carbs are good for you. Beans, whole grains, and veggies. Most vegans eat a lower fat diet since meat and dairy are high in fat and most plant foods aren't. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It is a malnutrition diet yes. Cannot deny that. Take away supplements for a minute. The vegan diet is then less superior by nature alone nutritionally. Which is just saying something. You'd be dead without supplements on that diet. So yeah 

• 1 month ago

Veganism is a form of an eating disorder.   You're cutting out entire food groups from your diet and causing it to be an imbalanced diet.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

A diet is what people eat, not what they don't eat. A diet is healthy or unhealthy depending on what's in it, not what's not in it.

A “vegan diet” is simply one that omits animal  products. Whether it's healthy or not depends on what is eaten.

Source(s): ,
  • kswck2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Depends on your perception of Veganism. 

• Rick
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

nope, UNLESS you take-it to extremes ............................

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.