8 month old baby won't sleep?

My younger sister had a baby 8 months ago and ever since COVID-19 happened my parents and I have been taking care of him (since his father works with the public) and lately he hasn't been going to sleep at night; He'll stay up until 2 or 3 am and nothing we do seems to help. Any tips or anything?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

If it is just lately it must be some change, try and find something he likes and get him to sleep like that such and moving him in his pram it is difficult inside try opening a window if you have a garden or outside safe space take him out there if not the window

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i would ask his pediatrician about it

• 1 month ago

Don't let him take a nap during the day 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Babies around that age often experience sleep regression, meaning that even if they've been sleeping well before that age, they suddenly go through a period of disturbed sleep or they find it difficult to fall asleep. Generally it lasts for 3-6 weeks and settles down itself. It can be related to growth spurts and development. Try having a quiet bedtime routine and rocking or patting him until he falls asleep. Use soothing music or white noise. These will help but they won't "cure" the situation because generally, it just takes time to pass naturally. Some people recommend controlled crying ("Ferberizing") but there have been studies which link this method with anxiety disorders in later life because leaving a baby to cry doesn't give him the sense of security he needs from a caregiver. If the problem persists longer than a few weeks, then consult his pediatrician. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Time to take the kid to the doctor.  Find out who his regular doctor is and take him.

• Susie
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Is he sleeping a lot during the day?  Try to have him take a nap earlier,  maybe  shortly after lunch. Then put him down later for the night.  Have relaxing time (read to him) prior to bed, no playing, sugary snacks etc.   Keep him on a schedule, for meals,  naps, and bedtime.  A change in routine can upset his sleeping patterns just like it does in adults.  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.