patty
patty asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

whats the best way to toilet train dogs?

we trained all of ours by taking them outside when we first bring them home and every two hours after that until they go potty. We praise them bring them in and continue doing it day and night the first day and night. The second day its every three hours praising them when they potty outside. We even set the during the night for every 3 hrs. If its a puppy, we continue to do this until the pup is used to going out then usually after 2 weeks, we take the pup out and wait until it pottys then wait  4 hrs but by then the pup usually will go to the door when it wants to go potty. Make sure you watch the dog to see if it is by the door and not ignore it.

• Amber

That really does depend on the dog.

I wouldn't bother with pads as they are a waste of money and only encourage indoor toileting.

One way is to use another dog. Either let your down out with another or take your dog to a "hot spot". Their natural instinct will take over. My neighbour taught her dog this way. I would take my dog into her garden and let it poop and pee and leave it there. This encouraged her dog to remark his territory. Then the next day I'd go and pick up the poop. (obviously I had permission to do this).

The best way is with persistent, patience and timing. Without my dog asking, I know, from watching her she normally needs to pee/poop X amount of time after eating and drinking. She normally needs to pee every 4 hours. So I make sure to get her outside as close to that time as possible. Too soon and you'll stand there for ever while his gets distracted chasing butterflies and too late and...puddles on floor. When the dog does connect a word to the action and do it every time. Praise and reward straight away. I was once told by a trainer: 'you have 1 second to reward before the dog stops associating what it just did with the praise it's getting.' Don't know how accurate that is. But it takes time.

Good luck

I have seen pictures of dogs going potty in the toilet but I have never attempted to train one to do so.  Lots of cats do it & saves on litter stuff.  You just need to google, "how to potty train an adult dog" or "How to potty train a puppy?"  Thousands of sites on both searches.

It is a total WASTE of TIME (not to mention money) to ever bother with pee pads - which only ENCOURAGE a dog to GO INSIDE the home.  (I also think it is a waste of time to try and teach a dog to sit on, and then flush a toilet.)  Only children are "trained to use a toilet" between 18 mos & 3 years of age.

Dogs should only be TAUGHT to eliminate OUTSIDE.  Dogs or puppies need to be taken out OFTEN (every two hours) until they learn, and only allowed to roam one CLEANABLE floor, while in training, provided they have indeed, JUST then -eliminated.  There are PLENTY of step-by step sites online about HOUSE-breaking a dog or puppy.  Google or Bing.com -is your friend, so USE either, to find out more.

• Maxi

After waking, after eating and after playing and sometime in between taking them outside standing silently until they toilet and while they are doing the action add a command word, that teaches a dog that outside is the place to toilet, to toilet on command and  once it learns what the word means, which will take about a week for most, you have a og who will toilet on command for life......being calm and consistant and only using the command word as praise takes all the stress out of it for both dog and human

Consistency, persistence and praise, loads of it when the pup empties where you want.  Only correct in the act.  Clean up mistakes, which are usually your mistakes for missing the signals and not taking the pup outside often enough, properly.

And DO NOT use pee pads which are a lazy option, hiding to nothing and will mean you have to 'untrain' the dog from messing anywhere indoors, before doing it properly.

Bring the dog outside to potty and when he/she goes follow it up with a “good girl/boy” and a treat ! Do this every time and the dog will start wanting to go outside to potty then slowly maneuver away from the rewarding of treats .