Tippy asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

When you ask someone to do something, what does it mean if they respond by repeating what you said while refusing to do what was asked?

Ok so say you're out someplace where you were given an assigned seat, you go to your assigned seat and discover someone sitting in it and you say "hey this is my assigned seat, please go find yours" and yet they respond by staying put while also saying "hey this is my assigned seat, please go find yours"

OR

Say you're at a family gig, one of your younger relatives is upset so you wrongfully assume someone else upset them yet when you say something to them they just repeat what you said to them.

What exactly does it mean when someone refuses to do what you asked of them and repeats what you say while they're at it?

They're mocking you because they can't think of a better response.

In the first example, I would assume that the man sitting there thought that YOU were trying to get HIS assigned seat. So the words you used to him seemed the right words to say back to you!

All the same, I question the way you spoke to him. "Hey this is my assigned seat" is not polite. I would say, "Oh excuse me, this is seat G45 isn't it? Only I thought G45 had been assigned to me".

Then he would say, "No, this is G44" or "Oh you're quite right, I'm sorry, I'm supposed to be in G44" or whatever, and if you couldn't resolve it between you, you would find an usher and ask for their help.

In the case of your family problem, I can offer no solution. But if you find people are often doing this to you, you should think carefully about the way you speak - I don't know, obviously, but perhaps you sound bossy and it riles them up.

• Jenna

In short it means they are a b*sta*rd and want to try bully you.

If you're at an event go speak to someone that works there and they will sort out the issue or may even give you another seat.

cause they want things their way