Will the cost of rent and housing go down cause of the Covid19 pandemic?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Yes, But only if the fear mongering media is successful in making this continue for months to come, Right now like 70% of laid off workers are getting more on unemployment than they would if they were working,

Right now many small business owners are getting screwed over left and right.

If the unemployment rate of over 14% continues for long, YES undoubably  it will negatibvely affect housing.

I live about 10 miles out of downtown Portland Oregon and i think I am seeing housing costs go down some, not a lot but a little.

God bless

EDIT- i am just reading some of these answers and I have to disagree with some of them, well, you cant get   a loan without a job, unless you have cash, SO, of course property COULD go down, also we are overdue for a real estate correction. Even if the coronovirus thing hadnt happened

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

In selected markets, maybe.  People need a place to live. What drives down rents is an oversupply of rental units for the market. This happens when more people can afford to buy houses and mortgage payments are lower than rents. In tough economies with people out of work and unable to get mortgages, the supply of property for sale can rise, and those people who can't buy are left with no choice but to rent. Rents rise or stay where they are.

• 1 month ago

Not for residential real estate, but I expect it to definitely effect the commercial real estate market.  There are a lot of empty commercial offices around the country and a seriously decreased demand.

• 1 month ago

The trend is showing the exact opposite. Rents and housing prices are rising. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Landlords still need to pay their own bills such as a mortgage on the property.  Their mortgage providers are unlikely to drop their prices, so why should the landlords?

• 1 month ago

Not likely.  Here's why.

Pandemic or no pandemic, people need to live somewhere.  Real estate is the last true free market in the free world, capitalism at it purest form.  The only thing that will make real estate values drop is if the supply is bigger than the demand, and the demand is huge.  The demand doesn't decrease due to a pandemic.  Purchase / sale activity might be slowed down, but slow activity doesn't affect property values.

There might be a temporary law prohibiting rent increases during the lockdown, but the key word is temporary.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

rent almost never goes down.

• R P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Highly unlikely.

The real estate prices will probably drop, but rents won't.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

it might, you never know

• Dze
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i wouldnt bet on that ... with all the money theyve pumped in and a shton of people acting like they dont want to work and be productive prices are likely to skyrocket on everything in the coming months ..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.