Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

How long does it take an animal facility to Euthanize a dog?

I got my nieghbors dog impounded

It was 6am and I was heading to work until I found my neighbors dog on my lawn. I was SSSOOOO ANGRY, I tied it up and called the pound to come pick it up. I even tore off the collar so they couldn't trace the owner, God I hate that dog sooo much.

It's a vicious,aggressive and wild pitbull, It's very dangerous breed of dog and don't feel safe around it. If it was a small friendly dog,I would have just return the dog to my neighbor with no hard feelings.

Here is my question, how long until it gets Euthanized. I really don't want my nieghbor going to the local animal pound, finding that dog and bringing it back home.

Favorite Answer

Your neighbor will get 72+ hrs to claim the dog.

After that it is at the discretion of the shelter whether to euthanize or adopt out the dog

It's a vicious wild pitbull that just so happened to allow you to catch it and remove the collar huh?

I think you're a troll.  A vicious, aggressive, wild pitbull wouldn't have allowed you to grab it by the collar.

If the dog was microchipped the pound will call and it will be back on your neighbor's property by the time you get out of work.

You must be a strong and agile person to have collared and tied up a 'vicious, aggressive and wild' animal.

Dogs found running loose (vs surrendered pets by owner) have a longer amount of time to be held (usually a week) but it varies.  The owner will have to PAY a fine, to get it back and if it has happened before (or again) the fine GOES UP.  

You can call the shelter & ask..... were you to turn in a dog, how long it will be held for the owner to reclaim it".  I am sure this is very common question (if not part of the shelters FAQs) on their website.  If not re-claimed, it "MAY" be put up for adoption, which costs more than a first time fine - for running loose and...if adopted, the dog will have to be neutered.  Not sure if dog will have to be neutered before being reclaimed by your neighbor, but neutered male dogs are 75% LESS LIKELY to bite, than INTACT dogs.

It seems wrong to put down a neighbors dog just because you don't like it! How would it be if we killed people because they annoyed us? Plus, you don't have the owner's knowledge or consent, which is definitely illegal.

You don't know the dog or owner's story. That dog could be their best friend. It could be that the dog is the only thing keeping them from depression. Et cetera.

My advice to you is instead, tell the owner about your concern and suggest solutions such as keeping them indoors, putting them on a leash, or getting a fence. If by some way they are unwilling to comply or the solution doesn't work, you can always just buy / build your own fence. Do NOT kidnap someone else's dog, that is easily something you can get arrested for.

• Nekkid Truth!
      1 month agoReport

Actually read the question.  It doesnt say that the individual dog is aggressive, the asker only commented on the dog's breed

Generally at least 3 days, more commonly 7 - 10 days.

If the dog is microchipped they will be able to trace the owner.

If registered with the local authorities they are likely to trace it to your neighbour even without a microchip given it was collected so close to it's home.

If the dog was really a threat, how’d you tie it up and take off the collar?

Be thankful your not my neighbor

If it's legitimately aggressive and acts that way with the pound... I dunno, depends on their rules. If the dog itself is not aggressive and you're just saying it is based on the breed, then they'll probably give the owners time to come looking for it and otherwise possibly put it up for adoption if they don't.

Honestly, this is an issue I feel is best discussed in person. If you could tell me what town you live in, so that I can meet you somewhere, I'd appreciate it.

Come alone.