Old coworkers want to have a cookout?

Hi I recently quit my job after almost a year there and now I’m back at an old job. Long story short, hours and pay weren’t great at the new place so I decided to leave. I never bonded too much with my coworkers. I basically did my job and left. They are super nice don’t get me wrong but they are a lot older than me. I don’t have very much in common with them like I do now having my old job back. I’m 20 and they are in their 30’s married with kids. Having my old job again, I’m around people my age and we just connect better. Anyways, my coworkers  (the married ones and such) are asking me to go to a cookout with them to celebrate birthdays and departures that we’ve missed because of the virus. I really don’t want to go. Like I said, we don’t bond on much and I feel I’ll be left out of conversations. Also there’s a certain person I believe who was invited that I’m not very fond of. I might possibly work that day anyway but if not, what could I possibly say to get out of it? Or should I just suck it up and go? It’s not like their my coworkers anymore but I do feel a bit guilty (kind of) for choosing not to go.

"Thank you for the lovely invitation.   It is kind of you to include me, but I'm afraid I have a prior obligation and won't be able to attend.  I hope you all have a wonderful time."  

Anyone who thinks you owe them a specific excuse or explanation of why you can't come was raised in a barnyard.   An invitation is not a subpoena.  

• Sarah2 months agoReport

Awesome thank you!