Is the message of "love your neighbor" practical?

I think this message was wrongly translated from the original message. I believe the original message is more along the lines of "love for your neighbor what you love for yourself" or do to your neighbor what you would want them to do to you. Something like that. But asking us to love people just because they are our neighbors or because they exist is just hypocritical to me.

Youre making a mountain out of a molehill. Jesus just wants us to all get along. 

If you don't want to end up in He'll .

Jesus never claimed it was practical. He just told us to do it.

It is the same with "honor thy father and mother."  It isn't about their cruelty, it is about your goodness.

I would go a step further.

Matthew 5:43-48 

43"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' 44But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect."

A neighbor is anyone who you live with, together. In this case, your neighbor is everything that exists in the universe, including mosquitoes. You're to treat them the same way you would want to be treated back by them. Yet, loving your neighbor as yourself is difficult. There are too many factors involved that can obstruct this system of love. 

Okay, Karen. So...you're only vaguely 'nice' to people you already like or approve of. And you're attempting to pretzel Love Thy Neighbor into Tolerate Some **** the Rest. Got it. That's uh...yeah. 

I'd laugh but this is truly about as honest as you've ever been. So. 

Instead of changing your bad behaviors and examining your prejudices, hot takes and such against strangers and people you know alike, you are slicing up a pretty simple, stark command into whatever you need it to be. You're using this as an excuse to go after those you don't like or can't stand cause-- 'Jesus' didn't mean treat others with respect and dignity, he so obviously meant whatever you need that to mean. Wow, you really are like most other religious sorts when they run into something they don't wanna do or don't wanna change. You just rewrite the verse to make it say what you want. Bwha ha ha ha. Yeah.