Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 2 months ago

Single working mums in UK, is it possible ?

My son is almost 2 and had a relationship breakdown. Looking at house costs it seems virtually impossible on my wage. Do I quit job or just suck it up and have a house and no extra money? 

Never strap yourself into something so expensive that you have little to spare.  Houses require huge maintenance expenses.  From yard work, tree trimming, appliance replacements (water heater - something you probably wouldn't think of), plumbing issues, electrical issues, roof repair/replacement, painting inside and outside - it's always something.  If you can't afford a house, don't feel pushed into buying one.  Perhaps, buying a townhouse might be affordable.  Continue renting until you can afford it.  If you can't, then don't let anyone make you feel bad about renting.  There's nothing shameful in renting or not being able to afford a house.  If you are working and are a contributing member of society, then that's commendable.

I am assuming your mean buying a house?

Yes, it's entirely possible. Providing you have the necessary income, good credit rating and enough in the bank to cover a deposit etc.

Most people when they buy, have no money and struggle for a bit. When I bought my first house on my own, I was left with £45 to my name and I had to get a lodger to cover my bills.

But things will get better. It would also give your child more security..

• Tavy

Do you mean buying or renting? You need a steady income and a large deposit to buy a house in the U.K.