Lv 5
. asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 2 months ago

Trump wants to put controls on social media platforms. Will he be able to do that to all social media, in all English speaking countries?

He has just signed an executive order to help him do just that to Twitter Google and Facebook.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Clive
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Don't be silly.  He is president of the USA, not anywhere else.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

The law that allows Twitter and similar services to operate as "platforms" instead of being "publishers" make a distinction between services that edit content and those that don't.  For example, the telephone providers in the USA do not monitor or edit phone conversations so they are not held responsible if users do something like conspire to commit a crime via phone calls. 

Twitter has created an Editorial Board and is actively monitoring tweets instead of just responding to complaints. That makes them a "publisher" and publishers CAN be held responsible for things like liable and defamation posted on their websites. 

• Christopher Calvin
      Lv 5
      2 months agoReport

Why did you call me a troll for no reason?  Reported.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

That's an interesting point, they could just up sticks and move their headquarters to another country, I suppose they would have to tailor in the US somehow but you'd still get round it via VPNs 

• Bill
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

it is already the subject of legal challenge as it is at odds with the constitution. Just another trump idiot idea to move attention away from the recession and the more than 10,000 dead. He wasn't censored just fact challenged and he lost to the facts

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Ana
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

I wouldn’t really say that he’s “controlling” the platforms. He’s actually doing the opposite, he’s actually giving the power back to the people to say what they think/feel, without fear of censorship. 

If anything, he’s preventing Facebook or Twitter from controlling you and censoring your thoughts, beliefs, and statements. 

He might be taking power away from Facebook, but he’s giving it back to the people. He’s not keeping it for himself. He isn’t going to regulate what can be said or not said… He’s just going to prevent the quote “fact checkers” aka Ministry of Truth from regulating anything at all. So people will actually have free speech on the Internet, which is how it should be

I’m not even Republican but I agree with Trump on this. I believe that I’m right, so I don’t need to silence my opponents beliefs. The truth will stand for itself. The truth always prevails unless you try to silence it 

• 2 months agoReport

If the truth stands for itself, why do so many people support Donald Trump?

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

No. Non Americans use Twitter..etc. Can tRump change the laws in France?

• 2 months ago

hesa neonazi and wants to allow his kin on the platform

• Ana
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

But I bet you love the Muslim brotherhood on your platform don’t you? 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.