Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 2 months ago

Is this a sign of autism?

I was trying to get my 14 month old to color today and he had no interest in it. He basically just took the crayons out of the box and put them back in. He had no interest in coloring.. Is this a sign of autism? I know a 14 month old can't really "color" put I thought he'd like to at least scribble..

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Of course not, he just wasn't interested in coloring.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • GB
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

I was surprised at my daughter's 18 month check-up to be asked if she could scribble yet. I replied, 'I thought you weren't supposed to give anything pointed to a child under the age of three, or anything that can be a choking hazard.' Apparently, you are meant to , under supervision. So on the health-visitor's advice , I put a sheet of paper on a low table and set a pen on it.  She had no trouble in picking it up and scribbling, and too my surprise, held the pen with an adult grip, rather than wrapping her whole hand round it.  This might be because I sometimes had her sitting on my lap, while I was writing a letter.

If you want to encourage your son to scribble, sit on the floor with him with the crayons and paper. Then start drawing, and he might copy.  He  doesn't 'know' it's what you think he is supposed to do. At present , he might see the crayons as objects to explore.  

• 2 months ago

No, it is not. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.