I can smell everything even with a face-mask - How are the face-masks supposed to stop the virus if they can let odor molecules through?

I just came back from Walmart. I had to wear the face-mask.

I went to the fruits and vegetables sections. As I walked by, I immediately was able to to smell the tomatoes, then the pineapples, then the mangoes, I was even able to get the scent from the papayas.

I passed by where the lemons are, and I was able to smell the citric smell of lemons.

I passed by the bread section, and I was able to smell the bread.

A virus is supposed to be smaller than odor molecules. I have no problem smelling even with a face-mask.

How is a mask supposed to stop a virus?

• Jim2

The virus is mostly spread through respiratory droplets- little drops of spit that you exhale when you breathe. Masks help keep this stuff inside the mask, so nobody else breathes it in. They also, to a lesser extent, keep you from breathing other peoples' saliva droplets. But mostly they protect other people against you.

They won't filter out smells. Not even an n95 mask will do that. A charcoal filter pesticide respirator, or even a gas mask, is necessary for that. But they do help keep your saliva droplets in.

not sure they can, my sister knows someone that caught the virus anyways even if she was wearing a mask

• Jim2
      1 month agoReport

They aren't perfect but they help. And they help other people more than they help you.