Can I get a social security number if I’m undocumented? ?

Like the ones that says “valid for work only with dhs authorization”?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

You BETTER not  -  You do not have rights here 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No. Those are for visa and green card holders who actually pay taxes. What you need is an ITIN # (one presumes so that you can get the EITC or child tax credits). This is one way illegals who don't earn enough to owe taxes take money from legal residents and citizens who do.

• 1 month ago

Not possible. You must have some sort of status which includes permission to work to be able to get even a restricted Social Security card. E.g. those who have been granted TPS with permission to work can apply for SSN. So can those approved for DACA. Even those LEGALLY present in US, but who are prohibited from working, e.g. those on foreign student visas & dependent spouses of employment visa holders, cannot apply for SSN.

• martha1 month agoReport

Dude get a life everything you say is so inccurate that you should not be able to answer questions on this site

• 1 month ago

You can get one if you have a need for it. DACA holders have one, and people who can get a driver license or state ID, i.e., in California, can get one as well. It will, indeed, read "valid for work only with DHS authorization."

Source(s): An immigrant from Europe, I live on the American Riviera and work as an attorney in Santa Barbara, California.

Even if you are undocumented?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Lisa A
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No. That type of SSN is for work visa holders. They need authorization to work (their work visa is their authorization, like their H1B)

You have no need for a SSN, and therefore can not get one.

Yes you can with work authorization

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.