Native English spealers, could you please help me with these issues?

1. Are these sentences correct:

a) "When I a news headline CATCHES my interest, I read the newstory, or at least until I still find it interesting."

b) "Whenever a news headline CAPTURES my interest, I read the newstory, or at least until I still find it interesting."

2. And does 'capture' imply a stronger interest and 'catch'?

• User
    Favorite Answer

a - "catches" is correct, but there are other flaws. It should read something like:

- When a news headline catches my interest I read the newstory, at least for as long as it holds my interest.

Problems:

- "I" needs to be deleted

- "at least until I still find it interesting" is confusing, it sounds like you read the story while it bores you and stop when it interests you!

b - "captures" is also correct, but the end of the sentence has the same problem

2 - Perhaps slightly: yes. The words are being used synonymously. ("Catch" and "capture" can mean the same thing and in this context they do.)