Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 2 months ago

Joining the army?

Is it worth quitting my good paying job to join the army in my late 20s? I have my BS and am working on my masters. I am single with no family, kids or even a girlfriend. I have always had it in the back of my mind to join and even tried at one point but got cold feet. Now that I’m older and am mored educated on the matter, I still want to join. I have spoken to a recruiter, done my research but no matter how prepared or informed I try to be it ultimately comes down to biting the bullet and doing it. I’m on here just to get anybody with experience or has been in my shoes that can shed some light on the subject.

Follow your dream. If anything, a military background will look good on a resume. The military will always be there if you want to join. Just make sure you have a plan for when you get out.

1. “Officers sit around doing paperwork” is a bullshyt generalization.

2. Make up your mind whether you want to enlist or be an officer. After you enlist that degree doesn’t mean squat and your chances of commissioning are extremely small.

• Mrsjvb

Do, Or Do Not.   quit being wishy-washy.  part fo adulting is making a decision and sticking with it, for good or ill.  

I got out, came back in and did 22 years total. I recommend finishing the degree and commissioning. 

• John

OCS is the way to go unless you get an appointment to West Point. My Weapons Officer became Superintendent of Annapolis.