Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 1 month ago

Should I leave my fiancé?

We’ve been together for 4/5 years. We broke up for about 8-9 months because of his alcoholism. He seems to be improving the way he drinks as in he drinks less then what he use too.. BUT he still reacts the same way! He’s bipolar, he talks to himself. When I ignored him, he gets mad and starts yelling and being rude, he’ll call me names and say all sorts of nasty things OR I’ll get the sweet side that he loves me and can’t live without me. It’s a hit or miss. I don’t know what to do, I can’t live the rest of my life like this! My patience is running short.. it’s mentally exhausting me. Any advice? 

• Tj

RUN from him, you will never be happy with his forever problems.

I'm sensing you already know the answer and just don't want to face reality. If he's an alcoholic, bipolar AND is abusive, you cannot possibly expect to have anything even close to a normal relationship. Get out now, otherwise you're just enabling him and deluding yourself.

So let me get this straight...

He is an alcoholic. Even if he drinks "less" (whatever that means), he still drinks.

He has serious mental issues and doesn't get treatment for them (Bipolar is pretty serious especially if it goes untreated)

He abuses you (calls you names and tells you nasty things)

Why are you with him? I can't think of a single reason of why you stay with this guy, unless you have a really low self esteem (get therapy for that) or you live in a postapolyptical town where there are no men anymore

Please, break up and get professional help for you. In which universe do you think it's normal to be w someone as sick as this guy? Even just his alcoholism is a reason to throw the whole man away.

You can take the alcohol out of the alcoholic, but the emotional problems that caused the alcoholism still will be there ..and will still cause problems. The alcohol is just an indication of deeper problems, and is not the actual problem.

Couples who break up should stay broken up .. if they get back together, the same things will happen (since significant change takes years/decades) and they wil ony break up again.

Yes, it is time to call of the wedding and break off for good.

You really should make him get counseling. They’ll probably put him on meds. If he continues to refuse to help himself, leave him.