Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCorporations · 1 month ago

If I tell my employer that I will *probably*  quit in two weeks without giving them advanced notice, and they fire me, is that “for cause”?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

It epends on the company.Many companies have a written notice policy in their handbook. It's usually 2 weeks, but could be more. If you don't give two weeks notice, you may lose any vacation pay out or planned bonus that you would otherwise receive. You've guaranteed yourself a bad reference from this boss,continue reading 

https://rplg.co/fa6cc200

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

That would be a termination without cause (unless they selectively enforced a policy you technically broke). You did not resign, you told them that you probably would in two weeks.

• Scott
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Some employers don't like to keep "short timers" around. Should have kept your mouth shut.

• Anonymous1 month agoReport

That doesn’t answer the question. Also, it’s a hypothetical scenario.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

you won't get unemployment, if that's your question

That’s not an answer to the question.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

In the case you describe, you are not fired. Your RESIGNATION is accepted effective immediately.

Resigning requires explicitly telling your employer that you will no longer work for them.

• Eva
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

No, that is a voluntary quit. You've learned a valuable lesson. Give proper notice or keep your mouth shut. When you tell them "probably", you've told them that you've already checked out and could care less about your job.

• KaleyK
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If you have been terminated for cause your employer should tell you that.  In many states it is required for the employer to let you know if you are terminated for cause.  If your employer did not cite for cause then you should assume it was termination at-will. 

• ...Show all comments

Just so you know Steven, I understand what “at-will” means, unlike KaileyK. How is the scenario described resignation?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.