How well are people with only one season telling the months apart?

I know it's already hard to tell what month it is here, in a place with 4 distinct seasons. For places where it's hot all year or cold all year, how have you been doing? 

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

The only places on Earth that truly have no seasons are equatorial climates. Most of these places would have equatorial tropical rainforest climates. However not everywhere along the equator has a warm climate--some regions at high altitude have a subtropical highland climate (cooler than tropical due to latitude). Unlike regular subtropical climates- there is not much seasonal temperature variation in those (if the subtropical highland climate is at low latitude). An example would be Quito,Ecuador. The Galapagos (an the equator) also has a different climate than most equatorial regions due to cooler sea temperature and the fact the intertropical convergence zone (ITCZ) typically remains north of those islands. In equatorial countries, they don't really keep track of time using seasons but they of course still know what month it is.

Even in the tropics: as you get away from the equator, there are seasons. In a place like Havana, Cuba-- the weather gets drier in the winter and wetter in the summer. There is a wet and dry season. 

Near the poles: there are seasons. It may be cold (by my standards) all year but the temperature still varies.... cold and colder. And at the poles- the sun will appear above the horizon during "summer" and below the horizon during the entirety of  "winter"... a pretty big change that I think you'd notice!

• James1 month agoReport

I meant to say “ cooler due to altitude “ not latitude.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

wrong forum.  belongs in Science & Mathematics > Earth Sciences & Geology

• 1 month ago

There are always seasons -- different fruit and different flowers (or lack thereof) determine what part of the year the climate is in. Also, lengths of day and night change each season, and where the sun rises and sets. And then there's the dry season, the dryer season, the wet season and the wetter season....

It's true for all latitudes, just more varied the farther from the equator.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.