Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationOther - Games & Recreation · 1 month ago

In DND 5e, I have the "extra attack" feature and a weapon with "loading" quality. Am I able to shoot twice per turn or not?

In DND 5e, I am a level 5 ranger with the "extra attack" feature and I have a heavy crossbow with the "loading" quality. Am I able to shoot twice per turn or not? Please provide the source if possible. If I cannot shoot twice, what would be the best ranged weapon (or weapon combination) I could get that would allow me to shoot twice per turn for the most damage? My dex modifer is +5. My crossbow currently has a HIT/DC of +10 and damage of 1 D10 + 5.

No.

Extra Action - "Beginning at 5th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn."

So what you're getting is an additional 'attack' within your 'attack action'. You are not getting an 'extra action'.

Loading - "Because of the time required to load this weapon, you can fire only one piece of ammunition from it when you use an action, bonus action, or reaction to fire it, regardless of the number of attacks you can normally make."

This means that in one single attack action, it can only fire one shot, no matter how many individual attacks you can make. A hasted character on the other hand, gets an extra action. They could use their regular attack action to shoot once and the extra action to shoot again. But a ranger with extra attack, only making one attack action, can only shoot it once.

Now because it says 'this weapon / from it', I don't believe it prohibits you shooting once with the crossbow and using a melee attack/ranged attack with a thrown weapon, as the same action.

Lastly can you not get the Crossbow Expert feat? That eliminates the Loading penalty.