Anonymous

Why does work make me depressed?

I’m in my mid 20s and have already worked quite a few jobs. Everything I do, I’m always unhappy in. I went to school a few times to try find something I could deal with. Now I have a job that pays well, and my coworkers say I’m good at. However, we got a new boss who loves to berate and bully his employees. I’m capable of sticking up for myself but I have struggled with horrible anxiety my entire life, and this has led to me quitting all of these jobs. Whether it be a rude boss or rude coworkers or horrible customers. My current job I also work 9+ hours, and most weekends. Which makes me miserable. The constant anxiety and worry consuming my everyday thoughts can just get very exhausting.

I’m lucky that I have a spouse that has a good job and can support us on his own. However I don’t want to feel like dead weight. If you were me, what would you do? Should I get some sort of part time job?

Favorite Answer

Very, very few people are thrilled to go to work everyday and many push through anxiety and depression every day of their lives.  Parents and media these days let kids think that they will get that dream job and make tons of money too.  Not going to happen and that's the harsh truth.  Welcome to the adult world of reality.

That said, there is no reason why you can update your resume and put it out there online. And, apply for new jobs that you see.  Just don't let your current company know and use sick days for interviews.

The truth still stands:  People don't quit companies, they quit management.

Harassment often begins with an unresolved conflict between workmates. Hence, without being a busybody in the affairs of others, give prompt attention to misunderstandings in which you are personally involved. Calm hurt feelings with tact and respect. Deal with your colleagues as individuals, not as a group. If someone appears to have something against you, try to sort out matters. Keep in mind Jesus’ admonition: “Be about settling matters quickly with the one complaining against you.”—Matthew 5:25.

Furthermore, everyone benefits by keeping the lines of communication open. Try, then, to communicate well with your supervisor without giving the impression that you are merely attempting to curry his favor. Remember, too, that good communication with your peers and subordinates will act as an antidote to stress. King Solomon wrote: “There is a frustrating of plans where there is no confidential talk, but in the multitude of counselors there is accomplishment.”—Proverbs 15:22.

Make every effort, therefore, to get along with your workmates. This does not mean being a “people pleaser,” weakly agreeing to everything that is demanded of you and compromising your principles just to maintain peace. But a warm and friendly manner can melt an icy atmosphere. Be careful not only of what you say to others but of how you say it. Again, the Bible offers sensible advice: “An answer, when mild, turns away rage.” (Proverbs 15:1) “The calmness of the tongue is a tree of life.” (Proverbs 15:4) “By patience a commander is induced.” (Proverbs 25:15) “Let your utterance be always with graciousness, seasoned with salt, so as to know how you ought to give an answer to each one.”—Colossians 4:6.

If you want to know more feel free to see to the source below.

If you feel like pulling your own weight then yes.