Lv 6

does it hurt the hard disc drive if it slightly comes unplugged and computer won't boot up until plug it back up better?

i somehow lost the little screws that hold the hard drive into the tray and i just have not bothered replacing them as it doesnt cause any problems except maybe 1 x every 4-6 weeks, i have to open the lid and push the hard drive a little more back into place as it has slid out a bit, so can i just keep doing this or will it cause major poblems? why?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • David
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes it may cause damage.

If you have to keep plugging in the drive then at some stage the electrical connections between the drive and computer are going to be disconnected during a critical read/write cycle. This potentially will cause data loss but also risks damaging the read/write heads and circuitry by repeated power surges/losses.

Take the laptop to a local tech and get them to replace the screws- the charge should be minimal or find a way of securing the drive such as a strip of tape etc.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Well, the situation can damage your hard drive. If you have solid state hard drive you are in the safe side, but for regular hard drive there are possibility of damage. I suggest you find solution so that it does not slide out or moves when you moving your computer.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.