Should a customer be denied access to a public restroom?

At my place of employment, I'm not a supervisor and have no authority to give direction.

However, today  one of my male co-workers closed the public restroom for cleaning.

He was cleaning the women's restroom. A customer indicated to me that she needed to

urgently use the facility.

I advised my coworker to exit the ladies room and allow the customer entry.

I told him that it is not fair to the customer to be kept waiting ( especially during an urgent time of need) simply due to the likelihood of incontinence ....

My coworker listened to what I had to say and he allowed the customer access....But he pitched a fit and argued with me in presence of the customer.

Did I do the right thing by NOT making that customer wait ?

Did I say the right thing and have the right idea when addressing

this with my coworker?

Favorite Answer

yes, you also halted liability. The co worker is selfish. I question their humanity. You were right and tactful.

• bluebellbkk

The issue was never about whether a customer in need should be denied access to the restroom. The issue is the way you and your co-worker spoke to each other.

• Mintee

I would just told them to use the alternate gender bath room real quick.. stand guard for them to be polite

Nope. Your co worker is a nasty butt head looking for any reason to be a drama queen! I once had customers waiting for the restroom while it was being cleaned. As a courtesy, I tried to contact my co worker on the two way radio and he ignored me. So I used my rest room key and let the 4-5 customers in (co worker wasn't even in there cleaning!!). My co worker tried to have a fit with me too - but I fought back asking him why he didn't answer my radio call. (He was too lazy - he wasn't doing ANYTHING! but bludging!!) Our manager heard the argument and asked what the problem was. He went off his head at my co worker and insisted he apologise to me. BTW - if I was that customer, I would have called to highlight how good you were and lodge a massive complaint about how you were spoken to in front of the customer!!

I keep looking for the word 'ask'. I don't see it. You 'advised' your colleague to let the lady in? "Advised"? What kind of way is that to talk to your colleagues?

Why didn't you just ASK him? "Oh Bob, this lady here needs to use the ladies' room quite urgently - could you let her in please?"

• JuanB

You did the same thing to him.  Expect it is possible your co-worker might talk back.

This comes down to individual organization policy and in that moment, you did what felt right for you. If you feel your co-worker crossed a boundary, have a conversation and explain your perspective. Be open to their perspective too.

The reason you got the argument had everything to do with the poor manner you demanded your coworker to clear out of the way. You could have been more cordial to have reached the same goal with full agreement.

Going to be blunt in saying that I'm on your coworker's side.  One of my first jobs was working retail, and I'd always get stuck cleaning the bathrooms.  Not once in three years of working did I ever hear a man complain when I'd shut down the men's room, but the second I'd close down the women's, every woman in the store would suddenly urgently need to go and pitch a fit like they'd never been allowed access to a toilet in their lives.

You should of directed her to use the men's room and let your coworker finish.

i think you did the right thing

Wasn't there another restroom she could use? The men's for example.

You don't know the pressure the person cleaning was under. Maybe he was late and getting flack from HIS boss. But he should have explained himself instead of getting pithy.

Tell her she can use a stall in the men's room.