Can scientists even figure out why yawning is contagious?

Think of it as being the stone age and you're in a tribe of humans that hunts, it's a good thing to have that yawn and tiredness be contagous and go to bed all at the same time and maybe that friendly half domesticated wolf's yawn would be good to be contagious too.

It's good to have the tribe be tired all at the same time and be on a similar schedule.

• ?

If I'm tired I'd like to be able to rest. If I yawn and others yawn too, I know they're relaxed and not full of murderous intentions. It works for them when they're tired too, so it has real evolutionary advantages for all involved.

Source(s): [n] = 10ⁿ
  • KennyB

Yes.  Contagious yawning is triggered involuntarily when we observe another person yawn -- it is a common form of echophenomena.  And it's not just humans who have a propensity for contagious yawning -- chimpanzees and dogs do it too