I have a canon 80d but I don't know if it would be better to upgrade the body to a Canon EOS 5ds or get a better lens instead ?

im looking to shoot profesional photos for comercial use so I don't know if its the better lens or is it the body of the camera I need to upgrade? 

• keerok
    Favorite Answer

The 80D is a potent camera so go with better lenses unless you need to go full-frame, then get the 5DS, but eventually you will still have to get better lenses after that.

• BriaR

We need to know what lens you already have.

If all you have is the 18-55 or 18-135 kit lens then upgrade the lens.  These are EF-S lenses that cannot be used on a 5Ds so you cannot upgrade body only, you also need a new lens.

I would suggest upgrading your lens to an EF 24-70mm f/2.8.  This can be carried over to use with a 5Ds if you decide to upgrade to full frame at a later date.

However be aware that the most important element in the photographic process is the photographer.  The camera is a tool.  Just like buying an expensive set of golf clubs won't make me Tiger Woods, buying expensive camera gear will not make you a pro photographer.

In general, a better lens is a better investment,

but sometimes you have to spend a lot more money to get only a slightly better result,

so you first need to figure out what is wrong with the quality you are getting. .

Don't chase gear. Get good with what you have. Then you know which one you actually need.

There is always a better mouse trap... or lens... or body.

If there is something you need that the 80D cannot provide, then changing to another body may make sense. I can't think of much that an 80D can't provide.

Lenses are more important than bodies. The type of shooting you do should dictate the type of lens you need.

For my paid work, I need wide to short telephoto. The Canon 15-85 IS is a damn near perfect lens for what I do. It isn't a fast lens, but I shoot at f/5.6 to f/8 almost exclusively, and always have a flash on the camera. Pretty wide for a Canon 7D MkII, but still gives me a little reach to stand away from things I'd rather not get on me.

For my personal work, I use long telephotos most of the time, rarely do I use anything else. When I do, I have found that the Nikon AF-P 18-55 that came with my D7500 works just fine. 

Surely you are somewhere in between... does the lens(es) you have now limit what you can do? Are they not delivering the quality you desire? Do they have unacceptable distortion or color shift or some other issue that reduces the quality of your images? Then you have to research to find a lens that will do what you want without those issues.

• keerok

OR Give the 80D to your wife, teach her photography, gift her with lenses and "borrow" them. 

• Sumi

If you were talking about an old (circa 1999 or early 2000s) then I'd say upgrade your body.  But, we're talking about a fairly new 80D vs a 5Ds.

You do not state some very critical information that I'd need to make a more informed recommendation. For example, things like:

1) What lens do you have now?  Makes no sense to recommend a lens that is on par with what you already have, right?

2) You do not state what types of photos you are going to be making.  What are your subjects?  Sports/wildlife?  Portraits?  Landscapes?  The 5Ds is specifically designed for landscape, wedding, portrait, and maybe even commercial use, too.

3) What's your budget?  I'll assume it's reasonably high since you're talking about upgrading to a $3,700 camera body.

Typically, the rule of thumb is that the lens will provide more of an increase in overall image quality.  But if you need to make photo-quality prints larger than what the 80D can do, which is 13" x 20", then go with the 5Ds who's files can be printed up to 29" x 19".  You see, there's not a huge difference in print sizes.  I mean, if you were using a Sony A7S which has 12MP, then I'd say you should upgrade the body.  But again, not knowing what types of situations you'll be in or the lighting conditions, it's hard to say.

Personally, I'd say if your 80D can allow you to consistently get the types of shots that you need to get, then definitely go with a better lens such as a "L" series lens.

• Caoedhen

You can print a 20x30 foot billboard from an 80D. That whole "max print size" thing is complete and utter horse doodoo.

• qrk

Bottom line, you need good glass (lenses) to shoot commercially.

What sort of lenses do you have now?

If shooting commercially (that covers a lot of things), you need to have good glass. Crappy glass on a good body will give you crappy images. If you buy EF lenses and move to full-frame, you don't need to buy new lenses (EF-S lenses can't be used on full-frame bodies).

Does the type of shooting require that you have lots of pixels? The 5DS has lots of pixels.

Do you have lighting equipment & accessories in your budget? That can cost more than a body for certain types of shooting.

Do you need selective focus? Full-frame has narrower depth of field than a crop sensor. Or, maybe you want wider DOF which means you use a crop sensor camera.

These are beginner questions. I would be nervous hiring you with these questions. Equipment is important, but knowing how to light requires study and experience.