which one is better for landscape  Canon - EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Standard Zoom Lens - Vs Canon ef 16 - 35mm f2.8 sum zoom lens?

• BriaR

What camera body do you have?

There is no set "landscape lens".  It depends what you are shooting.  For landscapes on my crop sensor EOS70D my main landscape lenses are a 10-20mm ultra wide angle and a 15-85 jack of all trades lens.  

In full frame terms that is equivalent to a 16-32mm and a 24-135mm.

Assuming that you have a full frame camera then I would say you need both!  If you have a crop sensor then a 10-20 coupled with the 24-70 would be the way to go.

If you can only have one of those lenses, it would be the 15-85 for a crop sensor or 24-70 (or 24-105) for full frame.

For the latter, if you want the lens for landscapes then you can save money and weight by going for the f/4 version - you will be working at f/11 or f/16 to get depth of field (on a tripod if necessary) so you don't need the faster f/2.8 version.

• keerok

The obvious choice is the 16-35mm since most landscapes are wide angle and 16mm gives you a wider view but it still will depend on exactly what you want to achieve. If you want less distortion at the cost of a narrower field of view or if you need the lens for other purposes like portraits, then the 24-70mm would do fine.

My answer is going to be a bit different than the others given. I have to say there is no "best" lens for landscapes, because not all landscapes are the same. The best lens is the one that is the best match for what you are shooting. Perhaps your landscape is a relatively narrow piece of land or scenery. In such a case, an extreme wide angle lens would be a problem because you would be getting a lot more in your image than you really want. You would have to do a lot of cropping of the digital file later in software. On the other hand, if you are shooting something like the Grand Canyon and want as much real estate in the scene as possible, then yes, the 16 - 35 would be what you would want. Such things are why lenses are made with different focal lengths. The "best" lens is the one that is best for that particular shot.

• Sumi

Definitely the 16-35 f/2.8.  The 24-70 f/2.8L II is a great lens for portraits of large groups and portraits of just 1-3 people.  However, at only 24mm, it's good for landscapes, but you'll find yourself wanting a wider lens very often.  That's why I'd go with the 16-35 f/2.8.

I'm currently using a 28mm for my Pentax, and it's not wide enough.  I've been able to get some good shots, but yeah, 16mm - 35mm is what you'd want.

There may be a better lens that the Canon 16-35 f/2.8. I'd check out the reviews at opticallimits.com.

Probably the 16-35mm because of its much wider field of view permitting dynamic shots. Use a tripod and stop it down at least half way to get better depth of field.  The L lens will produce better technical quality but doesn't offer such a wide angle of view; however as a walk-around lens it may be more useful as it also reaches medium portrait length.  Remember, modern stitching software is able to to join up a group of shots with minimal distortion, but use a tripod and manual settings while panning.