Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsReptiles · 1 month ago

What type of lizard is this?

I found this weird-looking lizard along the edge of a bayou near Lake Pontchartrain. It looked like a baby. I've never seen anything like this before.

Attachment image

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Report that to the FBI immediately and wash your hands

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Nigel
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

That is a photo shopped image, as Gretchen already pointed out. It has been bouncing around several dinosaur related sites and is supposed to look like a Spinosaurus.

Its resemblance to a crested newt is vague at best.

• 1 month ago

Its a European newt. Like a previous person mentioned it was probably sold as a pet and escaped. If you zoom in you can see a tiny elevated ridge line on the tail as well as the back  This is why I think an European newt is the most likely species. 

• 1 month ago

omg, it looks like a little dinnasoar 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

I believe this photo is photoshopped. No lizards exactly resemble this. It looks like as if someone was trying to make the lizard look a Spinosaurus. (An extinct dinosaur infamous for having a sail on its back and a long crocodile-like snout)

• Thea
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

I share your suspicion.

• 1 month ago

It looks more like a basilisk than anything else but there are no records of them in the USA outside of Florida. I suggest taking it to Tulane and asking the herpetologist. If it

IS something new to the region, it is worth a note in a herp journal. Tell him you want junior authorship.

• Newton
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Your location is near New Orleans Louisiana. There is no animal that would fit this description within the USA. Some newts in Europe have dorsal fins that look vaguely similar to this one. It also appears to have smooth skin. That makes it unlikely to be a lizard as lizards have scaly skin. European newts are sometimes sold as pets in the USA. Perhaps it is an escaped pet that is a European newt.

Attachment image
  • 1 month ago

looks like a baby dinosaur wtf

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.