Can someone explain this to me?

So to lose weight you need to burn around 500 calories a day or more, but how are you supposed to do that? I know you burn calories all day long doing whatever but surely some of the calories burning has to do with exercise in this case? I like walking, horse riding and swimming, but there’s no way I could burn 500 calories in just one session? Does the rest of the calories burned come from your metabolism speeding up or what?

my tdee right now is around 1845 calories, and bmr is around 1500-1600, i think i have lost a couple of pounds but not sure, and are there any cardio exercises that can boost your calorie increase while at rest?

• Louis
    Favorite Answer

Most people burn around 1600 calories a day just by living not including exercise. 

You can use this calculator to see how many calories you burn a day

https://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

The calculator can also figure out how many calories you burn with exercise. 

To lose weight you need a calorie deficit. you need to burn more calories than you consume. 

You can use a calorie counter to figure out how many calories you consume. 

A 500 calorie a day deficit would mean you might lose a pound a week. 

The short answer is diet. It isn't just  burn 500 calories more.  You need to start with how many calories your body needs or your BMR.  Then you create a calorie deficit of at least 500 calories per day via diet.

If your BMR is 1800 calories and you eat a 1300 calories, you create a calorie deficit of 500 calories.    

It is very hard for most people to burn enough calories through exercise to create a significant calorie deficit.  Consider calories burned through exercise as a bonus and develop the deficit by cutting calories in the foods and quantities you consume.