Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 2 months ago

How much notice is my landlord suppose to give for water shut off?

My landlord said she knocked at my door at 9am this morning but I was sleeping with my 4 month old baby (since I am up most of the night, I sleep in). At 10:00 am when I woke up the water was shut off. I have not been able to wash dishes from last night, baby bottles, flush the toilet or even brush my teeth. They are re- modeling their daughters apartment next door (completely new bathroom). I asked the construction worker and he said it would only be 30 minutes, it has now been a little over an hour. Is this even legal? Aren’t they suppose to give me a notice of some sort. 

Edit : I wasn’t asking to sue them or even make a complain it was just a simple question and I got 90% stupid answers. Everyone could’ve just said the answer “24 hours”. It’s not my fault most of you are miserable and want to argue with a random person on the internet. Thanks 

The amount of notice that they HAVE to give from a legal point of view is going to vary depending on your location which you didn't give.

Even after the water is shut off, most toilets will flush once (using the water that is left in the toilet tank). That should be enough, because you usually shouldn't need to flush more than once an hour.

He did try to notify you. You were asleep. You didn't get the notice. The workmen have to do what they have to do--and it's honestly not that much of an inconvenience. Get some bottled water and cope. 

• SimplytheFACTS

it could be an emergency if they didn't anticipate it, did major work, and found they needed to shut off water to get get the bathroom functional again quickly.

Where I live there is no law on required notice for a temporary shut off, thus any notice is gratuitous.  Sorry for your inconvenience, but we don't live in a vacuum so we can't have a reasonable expectation for everything to remain the same 100% of the time.

For a planned shut off, generally 24 hours advance notice is customary (though it varies by state). For an unplanned shut off, as much advance notice as possible. No one knows if the shut off was planned or not. Very possible that the contractor doing the work did not expect to have to shut the water off to the entire house - many bathrooms have shutoffs for fixtures so the main doesn't need to be turned off - and ran into a problem and needed to shut off the main.

An expected time of 30 minutes and it's only a little over an hour and you jump on the internet suggests you have a very low patience level.

• astrid2 months agoReport

My patience level has nothing to do with the fact that they told me one hour before? It’s inconvenient when you have kids and things to get done like doctors appts etc

They tried to give you notice.  You didn't answer the door.  They have the right to shut it off for maintenance, repairs, renovation, etc.  For much longer than that.  Patience is a virtue.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
    • astrid2 months agoReport

Yes and I as a tenant that pay my rent even with the whole covid-19 going on, I have the right to be notified Atleast a day before. How does the landlord have rights and I don’t? Doesn’t make any sense.

Supposed to be 24 hour written notice in most of the USA

• Lolly

It depends on your state. Where I live it's 24 hours unless it's an emergency.

They tried to provide notice but you didn't answer the door.

Even if it's part of a remodel or not, it could have been unplanned.

• astrid2 months agoReport

It was planned. They are installing a new bathtub. They’ve done it before. They know they’re going to install new appliances and can’t atleast give a day notice? Sounds ridiculous. I’m not asking to sue them or make a complain. It was a simple question and I got stupid answers

Depends on why. IN this case, it was predictable, so should have been 24 hours notice.

• A Hunch

We don't know if it was planned or not.... just because there is a remodel going on the water being turned off could be unrelated or could have come up suddenly.