Phil asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 2 months ago

I don't quite understand the healthcare marketplace. Can I get insurance now?

I called them and they said I'm passed the enrollment period. And then I called an insurance company directly and they said to contact the marketplace.

Is there any way to get insurance now?

Favorite Answer

Depends on where you live.  In the states in my area, a number of insurance companies are selling - COVID special enrollment.  I'm not sure when the window closes, but it's worth looking into in your state.  Also, a number of employers are allowed to add people to their plans as well.  Your employer may not advertise it as I don't believe there is a requirement to do so, but you should be able to jump on there now as well (if that's an option).

Lots of the rules are currently throw out the window.

Possibly. There are certain specific situations that qualify for a "special" enrollment period. For example, if you had insurance from work but you lost your job so you lost that insurance, then you can get insurance through the marketplace. However, if you don't qualify for a special enrollment period, then you will have to wait.

• Judy

If you got laid off and lost your insurance, you might qualify for an exception for having to wait for the normal annual enrollment period.

You should have purchased it when you first took the job.  Since you waited, now all you can do is buy it privately.  Don't be confusing the insurance agent with your job details.  Just tell you want to buy health insurance.  Choose a policy and pay for it.  When the next enrollment period rolls around (usually annually), then opt in and cancel your private insurance policy.

If you had a change in job or family status, you should be able to get health insurance through the marketplace.  For example, if you were laid off due to COVID-19, or even any other reason, you should be able to get insurance from the exchange.

In a state like California, you can get Medicaid (called MediCal here) at any time of year, if your income is low enough.

Other than that, your options are to pay cash for your doctor visits, or pay for private insurance, or wait until the enrollment period for any services.  If you're young and healthy, that last option is not so big a gamble.

• Eva

You need to have had a qualifying event within the last 60 days, like losing your job. Get on the website and read the list of events that would allow you to get insurance now.

You can get insurance now if:

1)  You become eligible for insurance through an employer; or

2)  You have lost your insurance due to a qualified event and you're still within the 60 day window.

If neither of those things applies, then you must wait until the next open enrollment and your insurance will begin 1/1/2021.

The market place is open for people who lost insurance.  So here in NY, it is closed unless if you lost your current insurance(company provided insurance).  However if you lost your job, then call them and sign up for medicaid.  That should be open, or they will open the ACA for you.  But some of the red states have been dismantling those programs.