Why does tuberculosis affect minority groups more ?

it is shown that 87% of the united states population comes from minority groups. Is there any factors ? 

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

i dont think thats always the case

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

they live in more dense housing

• 2 months ago

A lot of the properties people ascribe to minorities are really part of being poor.  Poor people commit more crimes, they tend more often to be unemployed or homeless, and they die of diseases the rest of us usually either overcome or avoid altogether.  Minorities tend to be poor so they are over-represented in epidemic deaths as well as prison populations.

TB, in particular, was nearly wiped out in this country by the early 70s.  But since then it's on the rise.  This is because treating TB requires a year or two of follow-up, and homeless people don't always get it.  This is also why poor and homeless don't get organ transplants--they also require long follow-up.  The 'Reagan Revolution' has made many millionaires (including yours truly TBH!) but has grown the homeless population about 100x as much.

MANY of the things minorities are blamed for are more a matter of wealth and 'class' than of color.

• 2 months ago

One factor is that TB runs rampant through cities. I grew up in one where almost everyone has been affected, although I was and am asymptomatic.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.