Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

How do I get people to not like the same things?

I am the only girl out of all my siblings. I am the middle child. I am different from them. I kind of enjoy it. But anyway... my brother who is only like one and a half years younger than me, started reading this book. It is a book that is for girls and it even starts with some girl scouts. It is one of my favorite books. I guess boys can read it, what's stopping them? But he isn't like one of those boys who act like girls. He is a boy. He likes the book. It is a good book overall, I have to say, even without the girl stuff. It has girls going through puberty in some parts. I don't know why I don't want him to know this. But what should I do so he doesn't get addicted to those books. help? what is the right thing to do?

• Marli
    Favorite Answer

I suppose you want to be unique, not refered to in the same sentence as your brothers by parents and friends. You like being the only girl and have secrets they can't discover and own.

Don't worry. You have one difference your brothers can't have: the experience and feelings of growing into a woman. Your brother won't have that bodily experience, even if he later identifies as female, which he likely won't if he enjoys being a boy now.

As for liking and learning from your book, it's a plus that could strengthen his relationship with you and with other girls. From your description of him, he seems to be a good guy. An understanding man is a good brother or boyfriend to have when you are overwhelmed.

You and your brothers will still have different interests. Don't deny them the bonds you have in common with them.

You admit the book is a good book. I can't imagine why you would want your brother NOT to read a good book.

And reading this one book is hardly the point at which you should start agitating about his getting 'addicted'. 

You seem to be asking several questions here. How can you stop your brother enjoying a good book; how can you stop your brother enjoying this ONE book that you enjoy; how can you stop your brother learning about puberty in girls from a book that you yourself imply explains it in a good and sensible way; how can you stop your brother going on to read more good, sensible books - purely because YOU read them first?Don't you see how silly this all sounds?The fact that your brother has enjoyed this ONE book doesn't detract from your special position as middle child and only girl, not in the least!!!

• Cogito

You don't.  Your brother can read whatever he wants to.  

Why shouldn't your brother learn about puberty?  Boys go through it as well, you know!  And it's really important that boys and girls should learn about each other and what they experience - it helps them grow up into mature, well-balanced adults.Leave your brother alone.  

• Andrew

I am the eldest of five - three sisters and a brother. My advice is to let it go. It's not for you to dictate what your siblings can or cannot enjoy. Boys are naturally curious about girls. I wasn't above reading a bit of Nancy Drew or The Babysitter's Club when I was a young kid, and I did that in an effort to sate my curiosity, not because I secretly liked reading books about girls. In later years I would find that the works of several female writers had a massive effect on me and my perception of the world - Jane Austen, George Eliot, Flannery O'Connor, Dorothy Parker, Mary Shelley... I'm not sure I can say that reading their books taught me much about women - growing up with three sisters you would think I'd know a lot more than I do and having been married for so many years and having daughters of my own it would make sense that I'd be considered an expert on women, but alas, that's probably why I've spent such a massive chunk of my life reading because half the time I really don't have any idea what the Hell they're on about or doing or thinking at all. Let your brother alone. Even if you'd written the book yourself you wouldn't reserve the right to tell him he can't read it, and I might not know women very well, but I certainly know how blokes tick - if you show him that reading your books gets your goat, it'll only serve to spur the lad on to read the lot of them. 

Have you tried sleeping with your brothers?