cam asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 2 months ago

125cc motorcycle as my only transportation? (Alabama,USA)?

First off im 19 & a dude.... thinking about going to college soon. I just lost my job, but i have about $1500+ saved up... theres this 125cc motorcycle (a kymco k-pipe) that i can buy straight up... right now im stressing JUST to pay my 2011 chevy Malibu $223 NOTE... my parents pay the insurance... Should i get the bike for my only transportation? I’ll get a backpack for carrying stuff... ill only be going to the gym, store, college, etc... obviously i know you can’t go highway with them... am i crazy or somethin? $223 for just a car note a month or less then $100 just for insurance a month? Any advice would be great! 

Missing info: miles / year / service history / tire dates / battery age / compression. A cheap, old, worn, rusted, furrin' motorcycle may not be reliable.at all. Gotta dealer nearby?

• Tim D

I did when I was 19. I still do over 40 years later. If I absolutely cannot ride (if there is recent snow, I can cope with rain and wind), I can take public transport or I can rent a van or car if I need to carry something substantial.

• Scott

Don't buy a Kymco. Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha or Suzuki.

• Anton

Less than one quarter of one percent of the U.S. population is capable of riding full time.

Weather is what matters.  It is a bit chilly in winter, a bit too much rain for me, but you can keep warm and dry with proper gear.   IF you don't care.

Others will tell you about safety, the statistics.  Truth, the statistics are mostly the idiots playing racer.  If you are not playing games, you will be mostly safe.  A motorcycle is small, agile, and you can avoid hazards a car will be caught.  A motorcycle has NO blind spots.  If you keep watching, you can avoid the idiots.

On a motorcycle, you are a cockroach -- most people cannot see you, and those who DO see you will TRY to swat you.  As a cockroach, you job is to see and avoid them.  You cannot relax on a motorcycle.

You will still owe the car note, unless you can payoff the note and sell the car.

• cam2 months agoReport

Gonna sell it to car max, might get 1k out of it..