Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 month ago

How do I write a letter of apology to my in-laws?

About 2 months to my wedding, me and my fiancee had unprotected sex and it resulted to pregnancy. Her parents were highly disappointed. The wedding plan was halted because it was against the christain moral principle to have sex before marriage talkless of getting pregnant before being wedded as husband and wife. However, I owned up to my mistake by legalizing our marriage at the court (civil wedding) so that we can live together as husband and wife thus allaying the shame and disappointment. Now my fiancee's parents demand an apology letter from me aside meeting with them face to face and pleading for forgiveness.

I don't know what "talkless of getting pregnant" means.  I understand their upset.  Why is this all your fault?  Didn't their daughter participate in the sex?

I wouldn't write a letter.  I wouldn't apologize face to face.

Would I want MY children to have contact with these poisonous but religious people?  No.

• Tj

Tell her BS parents to F off. To hell with their made up religious brain washing.

Write them a letter and tell them that you did not rape their daughter as she was a willing participant when the child was concieved. 

You owe them dittily squat.

If you must do something, you and your pregnant wife should do it TOGETHER, united, side by side.

So what? You guys had sex and a baby was concieved. Would either of you ever admitted you have been having sex if she did not get pregnant?

YOU KNOW FULL RIGHT WELL THAT NEITHER OF YOU WOULD HAVE TOLD HER PARENTS THAT YOU HAVE BEEN ENJOYING SEX, PREMARITAL SEX.....IF A BABY WAS NOT CONCIEVED. 

And you ARE NOT sorry, so stop being a hypocrite. You are just sorry you got caught. Why apologize if you believe what you TWO did was not wrong...that is the hypocritical part. Why apologize for their belief system? Laughable.

• Granted, I would never have the gut to tell them that we had been enjoying sex premarital. Am not being hypocrite either. Am just trying to own up on my part. It is them that are feeling like such-a-thing-can-never-happen-in-our-family.

Are you kidding?  I don't know how old your wife was when she got pregnant but if she was over 18 then it is none of their business.  If anyone should apologize it should be the daughter for failing to follow her parent's rules.  Second, you can meet with them and let them know you are not sorry for what happened because had that not happened you would not have their grandchild and I wouldn't have both of them.  Say that you are sorry for the inconvenience but beyond that it is their problem and not yours.  I have a feeling that it wont matter what you do they are going to hold this against you because they don't want to blame their daughter.

• RP

Where's the responsibility of their son? It takes two to tango and to make a baby. He is not without his share of guilt, if there's any guilt to be had. He should deal with his folks and not put you in the position of having to apologize for something you both had a hand (and more) in.