Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheater & Acting · 1 month ago

So many 16/17/18 year old actors are making it with little to none training and what seems like no contacts - how?! ?

When I say ‘what seems like no contacts’ I mean actors who haven’t shared their story: how they got where they were. Please take this question soft heartedly. I’m just wondering

• Verity

Because they're young and beautiful.  Sometimes that's all it takes.

I know an actress who went to a legitimate acting school in New York, but who was told, "If you really want to work, go to L.A. NOW.  You're pretty. That's all they want or need".

She landed a supporting role in a sitcom that lasted two seasons.   She's now doing children's theatre in Tennessee.

You are focusing on "the exceptions" not the rule.  Like most people you see only what you want to see.

Most teen actors have been training and performing from the age of 3.

You've posted variations of this question before.   It doesn't matter how many times you post it the answer is not going to change.

The reality is only about .001 percent of actors without training ever "make it".  And there are lots of actors with training and talent that never "make it" who have shared their story but you seeming don't want to hear from them.  Your definition of "making it" is not universal or based in reality.

There are far more working actors you don't know than ones you do.   For most actors success is measured in the number of roles they get in proportion to how many auditions you go on [it is very common to get cast in 1 role for every 100 projects you audition for].   

I've been acting professionally for over 30 years, you've never heard of me because I've only done a couple of films, no TV and perform in a market other than Hollywood or Broadway.  I've never wanted fame I act because I love acting and get steady work.  I'll never be wealthy, but theater makes my life rich in other ways.

So very many more are NOT “making it.” The ones that are as you called it “making it” have had a history of years of long hours of work and experience as well as being born gifted. 

• Cogito

What makes you think that "so many" of those actors are "making it" with little to no training?

How would you know whether or not they have contacts?Very few actors would admit to anyone at all that they got a good role through their parents or a family member!  They all want to think, and want others to think, that they won the role through sheer talent.

Almost all children and teens who win professional work have done loads of acting - at good schools with really good drama departments, youth theatres, junior acting schools, etc. Many start attending by the age of 6!

Don't believe everything you read online or in the media.

The thing is human beings have a lot of natural bias which means your perception of the situation is not necessarily a reflection of what the reality is.  

For example, you say "so many" which indicates you are only looking at those who confirm your impression that a teen can make it with no training.  How many do you really think have NO training and NO contacts?  Especially if you compare it to the literally millions of teens who want to be actors.  In LA, a minor is required to have an entertainment work permit in order to take an acting job.  State of California Department of Labor Standards Enforcement (DLSE) issues approximately 50,000 work permits every six months!  Granted they're not all teens, but that's a lot of wannabe kid actors - 100,000 or so a year and that’s just California.  It's far more accurate to note that "so many" of them do NOT make it.  

And how do you define "making it"?   They're in a TV series for a couple of seasons?  Make a movie or two? And then what?   Acting is a very unstable career.  Making it in one movie or TV show doesn't mean you'll get into anything else any time soon.  Having a vague definition of "making it" allows you to move the goal posts to confirm you bias.

And no one can "make it" without having connections -- an acting coach, casting director, agent, someone in the industry who helps them.  The kid themselves may not have connections, but their parents probably worked extremely hard to network and build a team for their child's career. The kid may not even be aware of all the work a parent has to do to navigate a professional career for a child actor.  It's show BUSINESS, not a lottery.  Random people are not just awarded an acting career.  That you're not aware of the connections doesn't mean they don't exist.

See the story about someone being "discovered" doesn't occur until after the fact.  It's not until you look back on someone's career that say they were discovered.  And that makes a good story, but it blurs the reality of what really happened.  And there are a ton of scams and rip offs in the industry that perpetuate that idea so they can make money.  

"So and so did it - why not me or it can't be that hard?!" is a very common whine that most people have thought more than once in their life.  But since you're wondering...maybe wonder why you have this perception and how does it really benefit you?

Not all actors have formal training in the first place. That's hardly an issue. And you say they have "what seems like" no contacts. How would you know?

In response to your update: Uhhhmmm...yeah...that's not what "having no contacts" means... And they don't have to share how they got where they were. All actors are not obligated to do that. They can if they feel so inclined, but I'm pretty sure it's not part of the job description, just like it's not for any other profession.