Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

Schoolwork help? Need example of this in third person writing...?

My teacher has given me this writing assgment, and I'm supposed to write about this charcater who is inside/ under a tidal wave and is looking up to the suface as he's tossed about. I need help because I dont know what being under a tsunami looks like and I don't know how he should feel. He should be dead anyways since he's in it...

P.S. I've already tried google and you name it...

5 Answers

Relevance
  • j153e
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

While imo Tina's and Marli's answers are great and helpful, would add that perhaps you're too focused on "tidal wave" and therefore stuck in "can't write about what you don't know."

Therefore, suggesting analogizing.  Have you ever held your breath as a child's way to indicate displeasure?  Have you ever jumped into a swimming pool, perhaps off a diving board?  Have you ever been in a dark room, trying to find something?  (If not, would be reasonably easy to do now.)  Have you ever swum or surfed in the ocean?  Have you ever been on some types of  "amusement" park rides, such as a roller coaster?  Have you ever been very scared?  These are some of the more in-general kinds of events your character would be encountering, albeit exponentially scaled up and intensified.

Therefore, take your experiences, and write the entire scene.  First decide on whether he or she survives (probably better that he/she is washed onto shore, and then scrambles to higher ground; maybe think of the Biblical story of Jonah, who is swallowed by a great fish and then is spat out).

After having the premise (in tidal wave) and conclusion (lands back on shore, and goes to higher, safer ground), you should probably frame the premise with he or she being on the beach, enjoying the blue sky and bright sunshine.  Then, the sea begins to withdraw...he or she does not know this warning sign, so then when the ocean wave rushes back in and sweeps over the land, your character is at the assignment's point of beginning (so a couple of introductory paragraphs, then into being tossed and turned by immense and basically uncontrollable energies of nature).

Then, the greater part of your story/assignment is simply two-fold:  a)  the forces of nature (rinse, repeat, to downplay the scene); perhaps he/she rises or is simply brought to the surface, takes a big breath or two, and then is dragged down into the maelstrom again; feel free to use your common/physics sense to analogize from roller coaster or dark room or diving into a swimming pool, etc; b)  the feelings and thoughts of your character; these may be synced with events (rising to surface, relief, gratefulness to be alive; being tumbled about underwater, great fear, perhaps (depending on your character) clarity/situational awareness (knows has to conserve breath, seeks to swim with upward current, etc.).

To end your story, your character may have wildly kaleidoscopic emotions, as he/she races to higher land and safety.  Again, there would be two main focuses:  a)  the physical scenery (trees toppled, houses "struggling" to remain standing, animals and people running; and b) your character's emotions, of gratitude, shock, bewilderment, etc.  A couple of paragraphs for these, and all in two pages (or expanded if word count is in play).  Having a positive attitude while doing the assignment will help.

Related references:  https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102011452

https://www.bbc.com/news/30462238

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

You're supposed to use your imagination.

So, you've google tsunamis, seen photos, videos etc. Now use that and imagine you're under water, how would YOU feel? 

It doesn't have to be 100% accurate. First of all, not everyone's experiences will be the same, and second of all, chances are your teacher doesn't have first hand experience of something like this either. It only needs to be believable.

If you're the kid who has been posting here for days, and showing us what you've written so far, then you've already put a lot of work into this. Stop overthinking it and just finish the story to the best of your abilities.

• Tina
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Have you tried googling "Eye witness accounts of a tsunami?"

• Jerald3 weeks agoReport

Yes, duh

• Marli
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I have not been in a tsunami, but I will make some guesses that I think are common-sense logical.

1. He is battered by the wave, crushed by the weight of the water pressing upon him from all sides, drowning because he inhaled water, not air, and disoriented by the wave spinning him.

2. If he is dead, his soul has separated from his body and he is no longer affected by the wave. (If we are not immortal souls, then he senses and knows nothing.)

3. He can't see the surface through all the water. If there is a YouTube video made by a tourist who shot it behind the Niagara Falls, watch it. You can't see through that downpour.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

This is the third (fourth?) time you've asked about how to write a character in a tsunami.

Either you're a troll or you're just some lazy kid who's not trying very hard. Either way it's ridiculous.

• Jerald2 months agoReport

Yeah Whatever is right....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.