Do you think it is reasonable for my landlord to raise my rent because I will be working at home due to the pandemic?  ?

They want to raise my rent because more electricity will be used. My rent is inclusive of everything, except AC (I pay 45 bucks extra). My rent amount was already raised this year also.

I wouldn't even consider it unless they can show an increase in electricity consumption.  Sounds like a BS charge to me.

• John

No. What rental rebates has your landlord given you to offset your costs of doing business with him?

None.

The electric is not under your control it is not your responsibility to carry your landlord in his life.

If he has a issue with his costs due to government he needs to bring his concerns to the government.

Not you.

Tell him no. Tell him to lower the rent too.

I wouldn't doubt your landlord has been offsetting his own taxes from the rent you pay which is very illegal.

• D.E.B.S.
      1 month agoReport

So he can raise a little now to cover his costs or he could have charged much more monthly for the last year or more to have a higher profit and account for this type of unexpected thing.Dong it that way is much more expensive for the tenant in the long run.

Huh??charge you more because of electricity Probably by using just a computer.landlord is greedy.

Not reasonable, and illegal if under a lease...

• Judy

no...............................................................

They can't change it while under a lease.  If you are month to month, they have every right to change the terms of the lease at the end of/beginning the following month and their reasoning is reasonable.  Most people working from home cook/use the oven and use the computer while stuck at home, working from home.  The landlord is covering his added expenses.  Even if the electric would not be that much more, he has a right to raise the rent.  Expenses are more.  It would happen anyway.  He's got a legitimate reason now so - less flack from tenants, who generally don't like to see an increase under any circumstances, which is unreasonable.  When costs increase, so should and does rent.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.

If you were paying utilities yourself, it might still be reasonable. Taxes and other things keep going up. You being home more, electricity usage and water usage may increase. It's certainly reasonable to try to recoup that.

What a landlord can't do, even if doing so would be reasonable, is change any terms of a fixed-term lease agreement during the term of the lease. However, if you are month to month, all the landlord must do is give you state-required advance notice of the increase. Your option is to decline to accept the change in terms and vacate the property by the date the change is to take effect.

• Lolly

If you have a lease they can't change it. Unless there is some provision for changing it, that is.

Absolutely not acceptable! We are in a pandemic we should be pulling together not making it more difficult!

• SimplytheFACTS
      1 month agoReport

making it more difficult for the landlord to pay his bills

Yes.  It means that your landlord is not getting a lot of profit off of you.  Small changes to his expenses are affecting his bottom line.  The alternative is that he charges you a lot more monthly, you are happy because it never raises, but you're actually paying a lot more in the long run than now or with this increase.