Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 2 months ago

What does it mean when rent is due in advance?

I’m renting a storage unit, and the contract states “rent is due in advance on day 19 of each month.” So do I pay my monthly rent on or before the 19th of each month? Thanks in advance. 

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

It simply means that rent is due on the 19th and you are paying for the month following that day, not the past month.  When rent is due "on" the 19th, pay on the 18th because when the 19th rolls around - one minute after midnight, that's the 19th and many landlords go first thing upon opening to deposit rent into the bank.  If you have not paid when he goes, then your rent is late.  It does not help you to pay in the afternoon, if he went to the bank at 10 a.m., for example.  You are late.  Pay the day before so that he has his money first thing when he opens business on the 19th.  His first task might very well be collecting rent/checks from the office and going to the bank.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Rent is always in advance. It means the rent you are paying is for the month that comes after, not for the one that just went by.

The rent is due on the 19th,

• Lolly
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

They want the rent on the 18th.

• 1 month ago

You pay for the upcoming month on or before the 19th of the prior month; absolutely no later than the 19th day of the month.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Yes.  Rent is always paid upfront (for the month ahead of time) instead of in arrears (for the period of time that has already passed).  

• 1 month ago

So do I pay my monthly rent on or before the 19th of each month?

Yes.

• A
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

On the 19th of May, June rent is due, you can pay before but if you pay it after you are late

• 1 month ago

It only means you have to pay rent as it is easiest to explain it on or before the first day of the month to live there that month. It makes sense and good business. The starting date is unimportant but the same principle is applied on a certain day of the month the rent is due. It is not uncommon to start renting a place you are asked to pay at least two months' rent so both the landlord and renter have some leeway before the renter leaves.

• geezer
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

IN ADVANCE means that (whenever you actually pay) you are paying for the month that ''starts on the 19th''.

The other option is IN ARREARS .. which means that you are paying for the month that has just finished.

• 1 month ago

It means they want you to pay it at the latest on the 18th of the month.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.