Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 month ago

I want to join the USMC, Officer or Enlisted?

Oh one hand, my dad wants we to do like ROTC or the academy and become an officer, so in his words "be smart, go to college". On the other hand, their is always college after enlisting, and then I get to actually fight, like I want to, and the training isn't as long. What should I do?

Do you care more about money or what your heart really wants to do? Also, you can probably go to school and become an officer while you are serving. I know in the Army we had "green to gold" which is the program that enlisted go thru to become officers. I had a CO that was enlisted and deployed as enlisted then after becoming a SGT, he did green to gold and worked from a buck LT to an infantry CO. Either way, have fun and enjoy your time! I miss is daily.

Source(s): Myself. Army 2013 - 2017
  • Jason

"and then I get to actually fight, like I want to"

Yeah, you DEFINITELY haven't done any research on being a Marine. You are going to be in for a big surprise if you don't do some serious, proper research. You have no idea what you're talking about right now.

BECAUSE you don't think fighting units have officers, you wouldn't make it in ROTC.

You may not even make it through the classroom portion of recruit training.

• ?

You should enlist as "... then I get to actually fight, like I want to, ...".

I recommend college - the military in general is more enjoyable as an officer. As to fighting, there's no guarantee of that.

Do what you want to do. After serving a term you can attend college on the GI bill.

• Mrsjvb

considering you misused the word their, I am thinking College is not going to be a smart choice for you, especially if you want to become an Officer.