Why was Avatar the Last Airbender ever considered a kids show?

I get that it’s a cartoon and kids watch cartoons, but this series was so much more mature than kids could ever understand. I was a kid when it came out and I never really paid attention to it cause it was just another cartoon on tv. Now as an adult though, I’ve really paid attention to all the themes and dialogue. This show deals with so many adult themes and has such a complex plot, it really blows my mind that this show was once a Nickelodeon show. I can easily say that this is my favorite cartoon of all time. Just the way they tied everything together and the character development. It’s so well done I absolutely love it to death and have watched it all the way through many times as well as The Legend of Korra. I guess it bugs me cause people who haven’t watched it pass it off as a dumb kids cartoon because of the network it’s on. Like the only thing that made it fit into the kids section is the fact that it’s animated. Man I wish it was played on something else so new viewers could appreciate it without preconceived bias.

• John

you also are having some preconceived notions, a kids show can be deep and deal with mature themes. while it may have gone over your head as a kid, i'm sure the core morals of the show stuck with you. and the best kids shows are those that offer something for people of every age.

avatar IS a kids show. it's a classic fantasy with magic powers, much like many shonen anime. anime like naruto, one piece, and my hero acedemia are also technically kids shows in japan, but they are enjoyed by kids, teens, and adults all over the world

• C T

Probably because it is a kid's show. 

Don't get me wrong. It's a great show for kid's and adults, but it is targeted at kid's and even when it tackles tougher subject matter, it does it in a way that is accessible to children because that's who their main focus is.