Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 month ago

Lukeb14:33- is this the critical requirement for Discipleship?

• GA41

Luke quotes Jesus as saying it, so the short answer is yes.  In context, I believe Jesus is saying that you must weigh the cost of being his disciple.  The cost is that he must be preeminent in your life.  This includes your family and your material possessions.  Luke quotes Jesus as saying you must "hate your father and mother".  I'm reasonably certain that the God who said, "Honor your Father and Mother" and "Love your neighbor as yourself" did not actually mean to hate your parents.  He meant that you must put Christ above family, and if you were not willing to do that, you are not meeting the cost of being his disciple.  I believe the statement, "give up everything you have", means if you are not willing tho put Christ above your material possession and wealth, you are not meeting the cost of being a disciple.  Christ was also quoted as saying, "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." (Matthew 6:33).  Why would he give you "all these things" if a requirement of being a disciple was to " give up all these things". Possessing "these things" cannot usurp your devotion to Christ if you want to be his disciple. 

• Alesha

That is a no brainer, even a depraved, degenerate sinner like me knows that one "Daily pick up your cross and follow me", he who gains his life will lose it, he who loses his life for my sake will gain it"

Source(s): Luke 9:23, 24

Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel. (Deuteronomy 17:12 NLT)

I think so. See Matthew 19:24.