When is the appropriate time to apply for dependents' benefits for SSDI?

I applied for SSDI in October 2018 and it is still in the first processing stage.  I recently read that dependents can be eligible for benefits (I am married with four children under age 18).  Do I need to apply separately for them or will it just be included with my original application?/When is the appropriate time to apply for dependents?

Thanks.

• Judith

IF your claim is approved they will process it and once your claim has been processed they will contact you or the children's mother to file claims for the children.  They never take claims for dependents unless the wage earner's claim is approved but your application filing date protects the date of filing for the children.  They might also take a claim for mother's benefits if your wife doesn't work and there are children under age 16.

You don't contact them about filing for the kids; they will contact you.

You filed October 2018 and it is still in the first processing stage?  Not likely.  It takes about 3 months to process the initial claim, about 2 months to process a reconsideration, 1 to 2 years to process a hearing and over 1 year to process the appeals council review.  

In the 32 years I worked for social security it NEVER took more than 5 months to make the 1st decision on a claim.  If you filed October 2018 and have never received one single decision then you need to contact social security.  You are either in the appeals process or you need to file a new claim.

It would have been helpful had you provided all the pertinent info, e.g. wounded warrior and the biggie - the fact that you filed in Manila.  I haven't the faintest idea how Manila or any place outside of mainland US/Hawaii/Alaska processes claim nor how long it normally takes to do so.

My suggestion?  You contact your US Senator and let his/her office contact them for status.  ONLY this time provide all the info they need.

I was a SS claims rep for 32 yrs.

• Jack1 month agoReport

Straight from my emails.  It is very disheartening.  Thank you again, very much, for responding.