What can you do to ease autistic and anxious old dogs?

Dogs dont suffer autism.

Anxiety can be a training issue, the dogs temperament, envitonmental factors- such as an unstable household or rowdy children, if the dog is in pain, etc.   You would need to work with a vet or trainer/behavioralist to determine what is causing the anxiety

Dog appeasing pheremones and rescue remedy may help as a bandaid while you work out the real solution

rethink cos dogs dont suffer from autism idiot..... only people do that

I'd be taking my elderly dog to my vet (if possible just now) and have him give him a full health check.  Anything could be going on and it's only right for any owner to do whatever is necessary so the old dog lives out his/her final days as free of pain etc. as possible.   For me it's all about quality of life and if the down days start to outnumber the up days, then it's getting to the time when you have to decide whether life is too much to bear, for them.

We have never done 'lingering'.