Anonymous

Scared I won’t get into my dream college!! Advice please!?

So currently I am a junior in high school and my dream college has always been Indiana University. I’ve taken my ACT once and did not get a good score on it..let’s just say a little below a 20. I do not plan on taking the SAT at all but I do plan on retaking the ACT. I am nervous I won’t get a good score and what if they do not except me! I did some research and they say that 24 is kind of a low for them. I have great grades in high school, I am ranked top half, I am involved in clubs, I will be graduating with my associates and my gpa is above a 3.7 right now. Do you think that will be good enough?

Favorite Answer

Let me give a piece of "old man" advice. I went thru the same choices in my 40'soul when I went back to school, and advised my kids when they went to college.

When you go to see your doctor, or dentist, or go to the emergency room, do you care what college the doctor went to? No, just as long as he/she is licensed by the State, you don't care. You go see a lawyer, do you care what school they went to?

Going to this school.......is it a want, or is it a necessity? Example.......my middle child wanted to be a USAF pilot. He was required to have a BSC degree to qualify for the program. I'm not wealthy, my career was enlisted military so I could only help so much. After H.S. graduation, he joined the USAF-Reserves and used their college benefit program. He went to the local community college for 2-years of the basics all degrees require, English, math, history, etc, etc. He wanted to go to a University he had picked out, but he crunched the numbers and thought about it. He decided to go to a local State University to finish his degree.

With his USAF college money, and student loans, he graduated with a science degree, (in the medical field), with only $5K in school debt! The military also has a program that will pay a percentage of federal student debt each year for each year of service. Now, he is a pilot for the USAF, just picked up Major, has no school debt, all because he used his head.

• MS

Colleges are going to question a significant discrepancy between your grades and ACT scores and may assume that your high school inflates grade. They also, however, understand that not everyone is a good test taker.  I would definitely recommend retaking the ACT, but I would also suggest doing some ACT prep work ahead of time - do some practice tests, read some strategy books, even take a prep course if possible.  That will help maximize your chances of acceptance.  IU will primarily focus on your grades and your ACT scores, so that is what you really need to maximize.

I'd also recommend having some acceptable backup schools in mind.  Don't put all of your hopes and dreams into this one school.  Find some other places that offer what you want to study and where you could see yourself being happy.

• John

I always advise high school students to avoid having a dream college.  Instead, try to concentrate on a dream career, and doing what's needed to enter that profession.  Even if one does get into their dream school, its a goal which would be over by the time the student is 22.  Look instead to long-range goals such as family, where you would like to live, a career, and other life long aspirations.

• drip

Just a FYI.  My nephew graduated HS with his Associate degree. University of Indiana  only accepted 8 credits out of 60 CC credits.  Even though he went to an Indiana high school and a an Indiana community college. And had Grades of B or better. 

Between a HS gpa of 3.7 plus community college classes it is shocking you scored under a 20 on the ACT exam.  That difference is going to be noted by any university you apply at.

Apply at Indiana University.  Make sure you apply to at least 2-3 other universities. We aren’t the admissions committee. So what we say doesn’t count.   But if you don’t get in don’t despair.  Regroup and check out the university you do get into.  Shake it off and go into your university with a positive attitude.  Otherwise you will only defeat yourself. 

Considering you do not know the difference between "accept" and "except," I would expect your verbal scores to be quite poor, and that would be a huge obstacle to getting accepted by any university. If you cannot earn 25 or better on ACT, your college acceptance & especially abilities to earn a degree are in serious jeopardy. Your high school must have rather low academic standards - and colleges know which schools have low standards.

• lilly1 month agoReport

don’t come on and answer to be an asshole okay:). Your not coming on to help, or give advice like the question asked so don’t answer. I wrote this at 4am so I am so sorry that there was one problem. Many people aren’t good test takers, so get the **** off my question :)

Actually, a 3.7 GPA , although well within the "middle 50%", is slightly below average for admission to IU Bloomington. I wouldn't count on your GPA being high enough to offset such a low ACT score.

Take a good prep class before retaking the ACT. If you don't improve significantly (at least a 25) consider applying as "test-optional" which should be available next year. 

You might, as Amaretta says, qualify as a transfer applicant. However, many universities require you to apply as a freshman even if you have an associate's degree, if you haven't taken any post-secondary classes after you graduated high school. I couldn't find it on IU's web page, but it's worth a call to the admissions office to find out whether you'd be considered a freshman or transfer applicant. 

If you already have your associate's degree, then you'll be applying to IU as a transfer student rather than as a freshman. That means you won't need SAT or ACT scores. All you'll need are your college transcripts and a personal statement. Your college GPA is good and it's not that hard to get into IU, so you should be fine.

• drip
      1 month agoReport

I have family in Indiana.  They needed to submit everything as a graduating senior. Unfortunately not all CC were accepted even though it was a public in state CC and university 

Focus on what's happening NOW. Thinking about the future will send you into chaos. You're going to be fine. It's not the end of the world.  

Also when you do research and apply for colleges, you should always have a backup plan just in case--meaning applying to more than one college if something doesn't work out. It's just common sense.