Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetProgramming & Design · 2 months ago

How to become a software engineer?

So I want to become a Software Engineer and I was looking at going to community college for 2 years and then transferring to a university for the other 2 but I really dont want to spend 4 years of my life and put myself into alot of debt before i can start making real money and i realize that the piece of paper saying I did all that is always gonna help me get the job that much quicker but here is my question... lower percentile software engineers supposedly make 50-80k a year and the highest being $150k+ my goal is to make atleast $100k a year now anyone who actually does this for a living or knows the area do you think I could maybe learn C++ for software development or C# or Python or Pascal if I learn any of them or should I learn all of them on my own could I get an entry level job being a software engineer and work my way up in a year or so to making that much? Or is there no way around it I have to go through college the old fashioned way? I just want to start making money now you know? I would appreciate any insight from those who are more experienced then me thankyou in advance

You are setting yourself up to fail. Don't skip any steps. Its okay to go slower.

Skills are one thing, a degree (from a recognized school) is another. You will eventually need both to come out on top. You can get by up front with just the skills- if that's all you want is to just get by. But in the end it will be rare for you to climb to the top without a degree. You can eventually get a good job with just the skills-but you will not be in charge.

• Tasm

I would recommend not going to college to learn software engineering. Get specialized online education instead.

Well, if you love to sit on the computer try to become a software developer first. Although college degree in computer science is not required to become a developer, but, a degree sure will make you more knowledgeable, presentable and help you move up in career. Hope that helps!

• Nathan2 months agoReport

I would love to get a degree I'm just looking for any shortcut possible I want to make money now not when I'm 25 you know?

I would honestly focus on the certification programs for Microsoft, Google, ect. to get your foot in the door, and then choose a full on degree or advancement with your employer.

• B-Dub2 months agoReport

For the most part, they would rather teach you how they do things after meeting their academic knowledge.