Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetProgramming & Design · 2 months ago

How to become a software engineer?

So I want to become a Software Engineer and I was looking at going to community college for 2 years and then transferring to a university for the other 2 but I really dont want to spend 4 years of my life and put myself into alot of debt before i can start making real money and i realize that the piece of paper saying I did all that is always gonna help me get the job that much quicker but here is my question... lower percentile software engineers supposedly make 50-80k a year and the highest being $150k+ my goal is to make atleast $100k a year now anyone who actually does this for a living or knows the area do you think I could maybe learn C++ for software development or C# or Python or Pascal if I learn any of them or should I learn all of them on my own could I get an entry level job being a software engineer and work my way up in a year or so to making that much? Or is there no way around it I have to go through college the old fashioned way? I just want to start making money now you know? I would appreciate any insight from those who are more experienced then me thankyou in advance

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

You are setting yourself up to fail. Don't skip any steps. Its okay to go slower.

Skills are one thing, a degree (from a recognized school) is another. You will eventually need both to come out on top. You can get by up front with just the skills- if that's all you want is to just get by. But in the end it will be rare for you to climb to the top without a degree. You can eventually get a good job with just the skills-but you will not be in charge.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Tasm
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

I would recommend not going to college to learn software engineering. Get specialized online education instead.

• 2 months ago

Well, if you love to sit on the computer try to become a software developer first. Although college degree in computer science is not required to become a developer, but, a degree sure will make you more knowledgeable, presentable and help you move up in career. Hope that helps!

• Nathan2 months agoReport

I would love to get a degree I'm just looking for any shortcut possible I want to make money now not when I'm 25 you know?

• 2 months ago

I would honestly focus on the certification programs for Microsoft, Google, ect. to get your foot in the door, and then choose a full on degree or advancement with your employer.

• ...Show all comments
    • B-Dub2 months agoReport

For the most part, they would rather teach you how they do things after meeting their academic knowledge.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.