If an actor/actress is getting typecast does that imply that he/she isn't a good actor/actress? or are typecast actors actually good actors?

• Favorite Answer

All it implies is that the actor fit that kind of role so well it becomes difficult for audiences to separate the actor from that role.

Tommy Lee Jones is typically cast as a law enforcement officer.  Is he a bad actor?  I wouldn't say so.

They can't all get lucky like Tom Hanks and get typecast as "The Everyman."  Sometimes, an actor or actress just has to keep playing the roles that are available to them.  After all, a paying gig is better than no gig at all.

• Dave

No, it means that producers are idiots.  If I were a producer, I would deliberately use an actor against type, and challenge him to show the audience what he can do.

• Brian

It means they are good at playing that type of character. When in school for all plays, I was typed casted as The Kid or a Character that was going to die, is dying, or already dead.